Bad Driving

By : Forum Member
Published 1st April 2016 |
Read latest comment - 25th April 2016

When will some drivers realise that their vehicle can be a dangerous machine and is not to be used as a weapon?

Yesterday evening I had to make a 10 mile journey, at rush hour, which took an hour.  Okay, there had been an accident on the M6 which affected my route but it was very stressful.  Firstly, there was the man behind me who was texting (he kept looking down) and nearly ran into me on two occasions.  Then there was the woman in a big Merc who swopped lanes at will and was also texting.  Add to that the roadworks signs that were totally ignored.  There are also a number of defective vehicles on the road that do not have working indicators!

If we had a proper traffic police force in this country, they would have a field day.  It's all very well having police interceptors but bad driving happens on all classes of road, not just motorways.

JuliaP
Comments

I think technology will be the eventual answer to this.

A larger Police Force is unrealistic, with force mergers and budget constraints. I'd sooner have more bobbys (or any!) on the beat or house break in's being solved, rather than more coppers in panda cars.

We're about 5 years away from self driving cars in the luxury market, then 10 years for main stream vehicles. This will cut down the number of idiots that can't drive, and eventually we will evolve into a nation of passengers.

Auto breathalysers will stop vehicles from being started (they are already playing with this), reckless drivers will be pulled over by remote control, insurance scams and crash for cash should become a thing of the past.  

Head up displays will emerge in the near future for most cars, or it will be wearable or voice technology making the current trend of typing texts obsolescent.

Most vehicles now are capable of Bluetooth, which will soon be mandatory, and we can already see the fledging steps with voice texts using Apple Siri and similar. Not an excuse, as you shouldn't text and drive, but if you are just dictating, then in theory that's no different to a voice call.

But until technology catches up, we'll have to rely on Darwins law of natural selection to weed out the reckless and the idiots. It's just a shame when innocent people are caught up in their carnage.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I have tried a few times to speak text in my car, but SIRI fails to get 99% of any message i want to send wrong, so i normally have to pull over or just wait until i get home. Nothing is so desperate that it cant wait 15/20 mins until i reach my destination. No life is worth so little !

The amount of idiots on the road that text, shave, apply make up, comb their hair is obscene and thoroughly deserve to have big fines and points applied 

Clive

Whilst nosing around on some stock market forums yesterday I came across an article on Tesla motor cars, my interest is not so much in the car but in the lithium required for the batteries. I think I have mentioned about lithium previously on here, its a huge market and it is expanding all to do with quality rather than quantity though. Anyway for anyone who thinks they'll still be driving a petrol or diesel car in 10 years time think again. If you are then your emission charges and fuel taxes will deter you from switching on the ignition key. 

Even countries such as India and China are changing their ways for the better as far as the motor industry in concerned. On Saturday evening the Tesla motor company confirmed that it had orders for $AUS 13 billion and this figure is still rising and Tesla are still 18 months away from production.... So if you want one, you'd better place your orders in now

Thanks,
Barney

Saw a Tesla for the first time up close the other week. It was interesting to see how much room there was with no transmission tunnel and gearbox. The centre console was dominated by a huge TV display which looked really odd, but overall a nice looking car.

Said it many times, as soon as we get an electric 4x4 that can do 400 miles on a charge and is a comparable price, with comparable power, I'll happily change over. Make it self driving, even better 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hopefully, Tesla's model 3 mass market vehicle will accelerate the demise of idiots behind the wheel, with all the fancy radar systems, sonar, and autopilot.

MarketingQuotes

I'd have a Tesla tomorrow if i could.

Actually - just sold my house..... Wonder what the fiancee would say of i turned up with one of those rather than invest my equity in our new house 

Clive

I'd have a Tesla tomorrow if i could.

Actually - just sold my house..... Wonder what the fiancee would say of i turned up with one of those rather than invest my equity in our new house 

Hahaha

- "Honey, look! It's all electric!" 

- /drama ensues.

MarketingQuotes

This Thread is now closed for comments