Virgin America gets sold off, or is it Virgin Atlantic?

By : Administrator
Published 4th April 2016 |
Read latest comment - 1st August 2016

Saw on the BBC that Virgin America was getting swallowed up by Alaska Airlines, which I thought was surprising, so did a quick google to get some more info.

So some news sites are reporting it's Virgin America, and some that's it's Virgin Atlantic! The BBC reports it as a $4bn deal, while fortune declare it as a $2bn deal.

Who needs facts and accuracy, it's only news

I was curious why our Richard was flogging it off, and it turns out he had little say due to US laws.

"I would be lying if I didn’t admit sadness that our wonderful airline is merging with another. Because I'm not American, the US Department of Transportation stipulated I  take some of my shares in Virgin America as non-voting shares, reducing my influence over any takeover. So there was sadly nothing I could do to stop it."

www.virgin.com/richard-branson/virgin-america

Seems it is $4bn according to the Virgin web site, so at least Richards pension pot will be ok 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Big fan of Virgin Atlantic, but never flown Virgin America. Wonder if they will keep the Virgin brand and core ethos which has got them where they are today. Can't believe Richard Branson had no say in the sale of the airline 

Angela
My views & opinions are my own

I dont understand how he can lose control of his own business 

USA Laws !! Imagine us dictating our rules to a USA company - wonder what they would say to us?

Clive

I dont understand how he can lose control of his own business 

USA Laws !! Imagine us dictating our rules to a USA company - wonder what they would say to us?”

It's bizarre, it seems to be a particularly related to airlines:

The Federal Aviation Act prohibits foreigners from owning more than 25 percent of an American airline. 

Took that line from an interesting article, although dated 2007, it's an enlightening read.

The stupid law that prevents foreigners from buying U.S. airlines.

...sometimes misplaced hostility to foreigners, national-security paranoia, and plain-old protectionism can damage American consumers and leave domestic industries hidebound. That's exactly what is happening in the airline sector, where an incredibly foolish law has barred foreigners from taking over American air carriers.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I was on one of there trains from warrington on monday well impressed

Thanks,
John connelly

The media has a lot to answer for especially on aviation issues!  They see Virgin and aircraft then automatically think Virgin Atlantic.  In aviation speak VX is Virgin America, VS is Virgin Atlantic and VA is Virgin Australia.

I take some of what SRB says with a large pinch of salt.  Look at his comments in days before Brexit vote (we must stay, etc, etc).  What happens a couple of weeks later, he's at Farnborough Air Show arriving on Airbus A350, to announce an order for this aircraft worth $4.4bn at list prices.  

Laws on company ownership vary from country to country.  Virgin Atlantic's joint venture with Delta is 51%/49%, so contrary to what many cynical media commentators say, Virgin Atlantic still has overall control, despite appearances that Delta holds the strings.

JuliaP

This Thread is now closed for comments