What would a President Trump world look like?

By : Administrator
Published 16th May 2016 |
Read latest comment - 9th November 2016

President Trump - even the name sounds like a spoof sitcom 

12 months ago it would have been laughable. Now there is actually a possibility it might happen!

Where UK politicians made what they thought were safe comments against an outside contender with little chance of political power, these could possibly come back and haunt them if the Trump road show carries on and sweeps him into power.

So Trump now is being vocal about the UK, questioning the relationship between the two countries after Cameron called him stupid, divisive and wrong, while new London Mayor Sadiq Khan has upset the Mr Trump by calling him ignorant.

I know there is a lot more razmatazz and glitz in American politics, and it's all about deep pockets and expensive campaigns. But will the average US voter really vote for him? Has he polarised enough voters in maybe the way as the leave EU campaign seems to. Is tapping into peoples fears and stoking controversy the strategy to get people to vote?

I wonder if will we see a return to USA isolationism politics as we had before the Second World War? Maybe even trade barriers rather than trade deals, as the USA struggles with cheaper overseas imports.

So as we potentially steer a course to exit the EU, it seems we could also be potentially alienating the USA leadership. Looks like an interesting 5 - 10 years ahead

Will we prosper, or become an insignificant backwater? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
Will we prosper, or become an insignificant backwater? ”

In the eyes of the world we are an "insignificant backwater"

Our politicians remain arrogant, ignorant and oblivious to the notion that the British empire no longer exists. Without American backing this country is a toothless dog in respect of world affairs. 

Even our European neighbours could not wait to say good-bye, they were sick and tired of our political tantrums and suspect that they are counting the days to Article 50 being invoked.

Now we are truly becoming an island state (possibly with a land border with Scotland if the oil price increase). We need to rebuild our national pride, our manufacturing base and standing in the world. 

We do not need any more political rhetoric and posturing. 

Let the Americans elect a clown for president, god knows we have enough of own..

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

Let the Americans elect a clown for president, god knows we have enough of own..

Now that's the truth

Apparently after last nights TV debate, if Trump wins, he is going to set up a special prosecutor to try and get Hillary jailed over her private email server shenanigans.

I can't see these two ever swapping xmas cards 

Steve Richardson

Seems his path has seen a few bumps lately with woman now coming forward allegedly accusing him of "groping" them.

Its unclear to the validity of these claims but he does seem to be making a few enemies along the way and he does shoot his mouth off.

Not sure I feel safe with his finger potentially on the trigger !

Clive

Couldn't resist it, had to watch the Trumpton / Hillary debate last night on iplayer. It was worse than how the media made it out to be

Although Trump comes over as a political amateur, and his taunts are better suited in a school playground, Clinton wasn't really that much better.

It's frightening that one of these two numpties is going to be the worlds most powerful person 

Maybe it is time to build a shelter in the back garden...

Steve Richardson

I think having either one of them is more frightening than us leaving the EU.... I was siding with Trump, but with the recent disclosures surrounding women, I just cannot see him winning even if only 10% of it is true..... Definitely one of the worst US elections I've seen and will certainly only be in for one term whoever wins...

Thanks,
Barney

Having seen the performances at what was, I think, a charity event I am very disappointed that Hillary did not try to ignore Trump and focus on positive things she will bring to the presidency.  In my opinion, she would have gained more credibility if she had risen above his obnoxious attitude.

JuliaP

Not looking good for the Clinton's now, after today's revelations it will probably be the last nail in her electoral coffin... Bit of a shame, but better to have it all out in the open prior to the election than after.....The last thing the rest of the world needs is a US president taking their eye of the ball whilst dealing with in house problems, while Putin plays war games and it wouldn't surprise me if he's not waiting for the election results either..... 

Thanks,
Barney

So drum roll, counting has started, will it be Trumpton or mad Hillary....

ohhhh the excitement, it's like Scottish Independence, Brexit and a new Pasty shop opening all rolled into one  

Which one of the old fogies will get to stay in the most exclusive old folks home in the world?

Steve Richardson

I don't know, I get the feeling Trump might just do it, there is a lot of hatred for Clinton out there.... The other thing is, it is the first time ever I have been sent an email from a broker warning me that should Trump get in the markets are going to be very volatile and to be careful with any investment... That was enough for me to cash out and sit on the fence for a while...

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments