A rumbustious argument or UKIP at breaking point?

By : Administrator
Published 7th October 2016 |
Read latest comment - 7th October 2016

Well it's all going on for UKIP this week. Leaders stepping down days after getting the job, a bust up between leadership hopefuls, Neil Hamilton getting shown up on question time, and financial backer Arron Banks threatening to leave if Hamilton and the only MP UKIP have, Douglas Carswell remain in the party.

The BBC reported that UKIP sources cited the punch up between MEP's Steven Woolfe and allegedly Mike Hookem, as a "rumbustious argument". Not actually sure what that means, but I suppose it translates as high spirits rather than a good kicking.

Douglas Carswell seems to upset everyone, which is ironic as the only MP.

Has UKIP outlived it's purpose? Like it or loathe it, we are leaving the EU, and a lot of credit has to be given to the Farage publicity machine for achieving this aim.

But as a political party, they have struggled to shake off extreme views, seem to attract unsavoury characters, and have few if any genuine practical policies. Their sole aim and energy was at getting the UK out of the EU. Although they commanded an impressive vote during the last election, I suspect without Farage and a decisive policy such as leaving the EU, we won't see a repetition in the next election.

I wonder if those voters will naturally gravitate towards Corbynism or will the Liberals manage to rebrand themselves?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I think someone mentioned on question time that just by having the name UKIP has prejudicial / racial connotations... And their probably right, but all of the political party's will have their own bigots yet are far better at covering it up. I think as far as UKIP are concerned, if they wish to survive they need to re-brand themselves and dump the idiots at the helm. I have never voted UKIP and doubt whether I ever will. But there is nothing wrong with having nationalistic views, I think they served a purpose and I think the country needed them to bring the other political party's into line with what the UK citizens wanted ....

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments