Farcical Fifa? Come on it's a Poppy!

By : Administrator
Published 2nd November 2016 |
Read latest comment - 4th November 2016

Fifa, the well known hotbed of corruption and scandal are trying to go for the moral high ground with the ban on players wearing poppies for the England Scotland game, which takes place on Remembrance Day (Armistice Day) 11 November.

Fair play to the PM, in a typically English response

"Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out,"

Storm in a teacup, but sometimes you'd think common sense would kick in, rather than quoting the rules about political, religious or commercial messages on shirts.

Or do you think Fifa are right?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

For obvious reasons I'm pro-poppy, always have been and always will be..... But (always a but with me) I kind of get what FIFA are trying to do, I think with sport, sport is one of those things where countries and individuals come together, everyone participating forgets their differences and as in the case of football has 90 minutes of sportsman like play without fear and without political intervention. So either 2 people or 2 teams meet shake hands and play. Even as a kid I had drummed into me that it doesn't matter whether you win or lose its the taking part that counts.... Not to dis-similar to the Christmas truce of 1914, put down the weapon, play a game of football, exchange gifts, share a cigarette shake hands and go home.

The problem really lies with the bad timing of the competition, they always knew it was going to happen and have now left it to the last minute to discuss it... What annoys me about the poppy more than anything else, is people wearing and not knowing why they are wearing it or using it as a fashion accessory... Anyone in front of a television camera it seems is forced to wear one and it just seems to me it's becoming a farce.

Thanks,
Barney

Having grown up with a Dad who fought in D-Day , the poppy has been almost grown into me and of courser I know why etc etc , if the players really wanted to do something they could donate all their fees to the poppy appeal 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Having done two London Poppy Days as a collector, it was interesting to see the reaction of our overseas visitors.  Most ignored us, but then Brits did too.  The Irish donated but didn't want to wear a poppy, so some politics was evident.  The majority of people were willing to give, with a few having a "mini rant" about how different UK Governments have ignored the military past and present.  Maybe the foreign visitors didn't understand what it meant and thought that foreign currency would not be accepted (it was).  

For anyone not familiar with London Poppy Day, it's when the Mayor of London allows military personnel onto the streets to collect for the Royal British Legion.  The 2016 event is today, with many celebrities giving their time including Dame Barbara Windsor and Joss Stone.  The atmosphere in Leadenhall Market was amazing when the RAF Band were playing, immaculate in appearance and playing!  TfL staff are also very good at remembering fallen colleagues.  

Having worked closely with the Military it was a great opportunity to get involved in a very worthy cause.  Well done to our PM if she really did say that; too many countries try to interfere with our customs, it's about time we stood up to them......

JuliaP

I think there is enough fuss as it is- the argument being that Football players already get paid a lot more than the Military and the Military are more beneficial to the country as they save lives. I think that in respect of that footballers should wear the poppy.  

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

The radio was saying today it may be the poppy , but tomorrow to could be something a lot worse and I did see their point of what other countries could wear .

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

My grandfather served in the war, albeit he played down his role and rarely spoke of it.

My father also did National Service (something that should be brought back!) and my Mum now wear his medals as a mark of respect on Armistice Day not just to him but to all those that lost their lives in all the Wars.

To all those that serve and have served our Nation I am grateful. You are true hero's and should be treated as such. I think we can hero worship too easily these days and use that term in the wrong context, but war heros are true HERO'S

On the o/p - FIFA has no right dictating to us what our Nation decides to do.

Wear your poppy with pride, but also remember why you are wearing it.

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments