Chocolate bars aren't like they used to be

By : Forum Member
Published 9th November 2016 |
Read latest comment - 18th November 2016

So Toblerone is the latest victim of a weight cut, but also a re-design.  Admit the only time I have bought it is in airport duty free shops to use up foreign coins, then it was often one of the varieties that you can't get in the UK.  Also the smaller bars on sale never taste the same as the bigger ones.  Even before Brexit, manufacturers were saying they've changed/reduced size rather than putting up prices.  

Going back to Toblerone, I understand that a certain low-cost supermarket (beginning with A) sells a reasonable substitute, as does a well-known high street store whose food sales are better than their clothing.

I can remember Mars Bars being 4d with the top choc layer being quite chunky.  Anyone else like to share their nostalgia about changes to their favourite chocs???

JuliaP
Comments

I've noticed Morrisons have been doing promotional £1 bags of crunchy, mars bar and snickers (always be a marathon to me) bite size chunks.

But you don't get many for your dosh, and prob not worth much more than a pound!

Another favourite are curly wurlys, they've got holes in so must be good for you  But these are definitely a shadow of their former selves!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I sometimes miss 'real' chocolate. Was fun to find some English confectionery in NZ supermarkets!

My eldest is anaphylactic to peanuts and we follow a gluten free diet for health reasons.

Chocolate for years was a no go for traces of peanuts

Trying to be healthy and reduce our family's carb, sugar and chemical intake means we are only occasional sweet treat indulgers. Have to be selective in our choices. Thankfully due to years of low sugar the kids really love 90% Lindt dark chocolate and even find most fruits naturally too sweet!

We're in Gran Canaria at the moment and were quite pleased to find gluten free confectionery for Halloween for the kids at the local supermarket. Won't dwell too much on the serious overload on artificial food colours and preservatives that night!.

There is certainly more choice for us now (after 11 years this way) as manufacturers are starting to tap into the allergy and sugar free markets. Just have to watch out for the laxative effect of the sugar substitutes e.g xylitol!

Thanks,
Samantha Sullivan

I sometimes miss 'real' chocolate. Was fun to find some English confectionery in NZ supermarkets!

My eldest is anaphylactic to peanuts and we follow a gluten free diet for health reasons.

Chocolate for years was a no go for traces of peanuts

Trying to be healthy and reduce our family's carb, sugar and chemical intake means we are only occasional sweet treat indulgers. Have to be selective in our choices. Thankfully due to years of low sugar the kids really love 90% Lindt dark chocolate and even find most fruits naturally too sweet!

We're in Gran Canaria at the moment and were quite pleased to find gluten free confectionery for Halloween for the kids at the local supermarket. Won't dwell too much on the serious overload on artificial food colours and preservatives that night!.

There is certainly more choice for us now (after 11 years this way) as manufacturers are starting to tap into the allergy and sugar free markets. Just have to watch out for the laxative effect of the sugar substitutes e.g xylitol!”

Oh I couldn't live out there for too long without my chocolate! Major chocoholic over here and its just not the same abroad as it is here   I always struggle when I'm on holiday because the chocolate I want is so expensive!! 

I used to love the Freddo bars when I was younger; used to be 10p a bar now they're nearing 30p - I think its such a rip off now a days for some decent chocolate. I mean the boxes of lindor chocolates which are my all time favourites are like £4 a box  

They are yummy though

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

I'm still a milky bar fan myself....I avoid them like the plague, otherwise I'll spend the entire evening trying to cram as many down as I possibly can..... If I want to lose weight... I'll get some Wham bars as they tend to lock your jaws together...

Thanks,
Barney

I'm still a milky bar fan myself....I avoid them like the plague, otherwise I'll spend the entire evening trying to cram as many down as I possibly can..... If I want to lose weight... I'll get some Wham bars as they tend to lock your jaws together...
The Curly wurly bars aren't too bad either- calories wise, and they are quite chewy so you won't want to eat a load like the milky bar because of the amount of chewing you do! probably burn more calories chewing it

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

Agree that the "bites" bags are only worth £1.  Bought Twirl ones a few weeks ago because Asda had put Twirl multipack of four back to £1.99 (100%) mark-up.  Guess what, multipack now back to £1 and same price in local Co-op.

Looking forward to visiting Lindt shop at Resorts World (NEC Birmingham) soon.  Think their 10% discount is for November only.   Noticed Thorntons have expanded their range; still love their Continental.

JuliaP

I didn't know about this store!! Wow I'm defiantly going to have to take a look at that 

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

Not really a chocolate fan myself ,but when I do I am mostly stuck with kit kat or milky bar as it is just about the only bars I like.. I used to eat lunch bars back home ,but you can only get those in SA shops over here  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I just had to write a promotional article for a client about a confectionery supplier in NZ that stocks UK sweets and American candy. Confusing that they call sweets, lollies in OZ and NZ.

When I was checking out their website for research I spotted Terry's Choc Orange. My Dad loves these and only gets them at Christmas - to be honest I think they only produce them at Christmas or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Samantha Sullivan

This Thread is now closed for comments