Press the snooze button whenever..

By : Forum Member
Published 3rd February 2017 |
Read latest comment - 6th February 2017

A lot of us have the same problem of getting ourselves out of our warm beds, especially at this time of year when its freezing cold outside. We all know its not just a case of getting out of bed because its driving/walking/cycling to work as well. You could also have the problem of not being able to park your car in such a busy car park: or it could be that you know you will get stuck in traffic on the way in to work. There are many things that go through our minds when we hit the snooze button...

Beam Shop California, USA claims to have all answers. 

Instead of physically dragging themselves to work, staff "beam in" to the shop to operate robot versions of themselves from the comfort of their own homes.

The robots unlock the shop doors, adjust the lighting and temperature, swivel about to answer customers' questions and as a special party trick hand out sweets to curious passers-by.

The robot's movements are controlled via a computer's mouse or arrow keys and its operator uses a webcam to display his or her face on a large screen.

BBC Website - Could your robot go to work instead of you?

Don't know how I feel about this, is this just the world getting more and more lazy or is it actually a good idea. The only thing is its very very obvious if the people that are on the screen of the robots go to the toilet or go to get a drink, as there will be no one on the screen to talk and greet customers

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team
Comments

I think it's quite a good idea albeit a bit gimmicky and clunky at present.

But fast forward a few years, and this will be no different from the "can I help you" annoying web chat boxes that pop up on websites. Instead we will have these things trundling around Tescos where you can ask them where the beans are, and they will no doubt have a library of FAQ questions and location map of all the inventory of the store. Give them a couple of arms and they can stack shelves as well.

That will free up all the youngsters who can work in the new generation battery nursing homes to look after the rest of us geriatrics 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments