Laptops and other large devices on flights

By : Forum Member
Published 24th March 2017 |
Read latest comment - 5th June 2017

When this news first broke, I thought it's another "Trump-ism".  He failed to get travel ban accepted so decided to introduce a gadget ban.  Also US airlines have long been complaining about how companies such as Emirates and Qatar have taken their market share, albeit with cheaper fares (possibly through government subsidies) and a far better product.  When the UK followed, but with variations to the countries, I thought this must be based on credible intelligence.

Emirates seems to be the first to publicise how they will deal with the ban by advising passengers that their laptop/gadget will be taken from them at the boarding gate, tagged then stowed in a locked security container with others and a receipt given to passengers for retrieval on arrival in the US.  There's also the issue around the stability of lithium batteries.  No doubt there's an entrepreneur somewhere who is hastily marketing a fireproof container to house the battery and intending to charge a premium price. 

Doesn't apply to flights to US originating in UK, at the moment......

JuliaP
Comments

My heart sunk when I saw this on the news

Only a matter of time before we end up with this rolled out for all flights, domestic and international...

Flying really is becoming a thing of utter frustration and dread. The only thing I look forward to walking out of the arrivals hall when I've landed.

Interesting about the stability of batteries as one commentator noted, if a lappie battery catches fire in the cabin it's pretty obvious and can be dealt with quickly. But in the aircraft hold it will be buried or surrounded by combustible material and be reliant on automatic fire extinguishers. If it's got to the point where they have been activated, then it's become a serious issue.

Basically we will soon have to all start flying naked, get dressed in the arrivals and buy a new laptop 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

"Basically we will soon have to all start flying naked, get dressed in the arrivals and buy a new laptop "

Well observed Steve and you won't be able to wear your favourite leggings, especially if flying with United.........

JuliaP

you won't be able to wear your favourite leggings, especially if flying with United.........”

Dohhh!! another freedom taken away 

Steve Richardson

Going to have to check to see if I can take mine on my next holiday as need it to check my shop and listings every day otherwise is going to be a nightmare having to always find a PC somewhere or borrow someone's all the time grrrrr

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Going to have to check to see if I can take mine on my next holiday as need it to check my shop and listings every day otherwise is going to be a nightmare having to always find a PC somewhere or borrow someone's all the time grrrrr”

Now the idea of a holiday Andy is to down tools and not be working 

Steve Richardson

I wish I could ,but that's when people seem to order and they always seem to buy items I have to buy in too + to make matters worse there will be no one here to help if that happens as the whole family is going 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

There was a suggestion that the ban would be extended to all flights from UK and Europe to the US.  Thankfully, it hasn't happened.

Some concerns have been raised.  By putting a laptop or similar device in the aircraft hold, a bomb could still be detonated by a passenger via their mobile 'phone (not subject to the same restriction).  Smoke detectors and automatic fire extinguishers have been fitted to aircraft holds, but there are probably some airlines who haven't done this.  Also there's the lithium battery problem, a number of which have caught fire in the aircraft cabin, so would they behave any differently in the hold.  

The majority of flight deck crew now use ipads/tablets for their flight plans and airfield charts, eradicating the need for loads of paper in the cockpit.  The A380 is paperless, an onboard server also contains all the checklists needed by the crew.  Tablets are also used by cabin crew to replace the old paper manifest, so one tap of the screen will show who wants the veggie meal.  

Wonder how long it will be before Mr Trump tires of this and moves on to something else.......

JuliaP

Wonder how long it will be before Mr Trump tires of this and moves on to something else.......”

Looking at Twitter over the weekend it seems to be poor old Sadiq Khan. As if he didn't have anything more important to worry about.

Angela
My views & opinions are my own

This Thread is now closed for comments