Microsoft have said NO until legally compelled.

By : Forum Member
Published 28th March 2017 |
Read latest comment - 28th March 2017

The horrific events that took place last week in Westminster took us all by surprise and left the UK and its residents heartbroken and shocked. However it is now in action by the government to focus primarily on getting to the bottom of what happened and to stop it from reoccurring again.

A lot of large technology companies are being investigated by the government in order to protect a tragedy and attack like Westminster from happening again. Companies such as Microsoft and WhatsApp  are being asked to hand over passwords and other hacking information to intelligence agencies larger than themselves. Although this does seem like the right thing to do, the question ponders as to whether the government should have access to personal information without permission.

Brad Smith the president of Microsoft seems to be rebelling against the government and stated

'We will turn over data only when legally compelled to'.   

He went on to say that he had made the mistake previously to hand over information when not legally compelled to do so and 60 of their customers were attacked unnecessarily. Brad Smith wants all technology companies to understand his way of thinking as he feels hacking into private property may cause more of a reason for people in the UK and the US to rebel against the government.  

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team
Comments

I do think they should be able to see what people are sending .. A to the saying if you ain't got nothing to hide etc ..Also it's not like they are going to sit there and read every message ,I'm sure it will all go though a word search that picks up selected phrases or something to that effect ...But yes as with the UK I too lived though bombings from Mandela although I was young I did know of 2 people caught up in them growing up and our Magoo's club bombing was the worst ..Anything to help us stop these attacks is a good thing

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments