Radio 2 Drivetime show - what have they done?

By : Administrator
Published 14th June 2018 |
Read latest comment - 28th June 2018

I know we all have that built in moan mechanism that get's triggered, "I don't like change", when someone interferes with something we're used to. But after a couple of weeks listening to the new format Radio 2 Drivetime show, I've just don't like it 

I thought maybe it was just me, so happened to Google it today and couldn't believe the response! It seems a chunk of the audience has been very vocal across a variety of social media channels, complete with petitions:
Bring back Simon Mayo and the dream team

The backlash has got so bad that Chris Evans on his breakfast show was obviously asked to big the Drivetime show up and discredit the moaners. I normally quite like Chris Evans, I know he's a like him or loathe personality, but his Drivetime sales pitch was cringe worthy  He kept banging on about the "surge" when a format changes and how some people won't be happy, which is true. But I think they have misjudged how many people are unhappy.

Here is a link to Chris's bizarre ramblings this morning if you didn't hear it.

I quite like Jo Wiley with her own show and I loved the old Simon Mayo Drivetime format. But (I think) they are a weird and awkward combination. Bring back Matt the sports guy.

Apparently the reason for the programming changes is purely down to the Beeb knee jerking to the gender pay gap disputes earlier in the year and they want to push more women in to prime slots. Whilst the reasons are sound, the execution is awful and looking at the people moaning, I'd say it's split pretty equally between the sexes. Either have Jo host the show or Simon, but to co-present just for the sake of political correctness is the world truly going mad.

It was great listening to a bit of fun, humour on the way home form work, but now it feels like the fun has been sucked out of the show with awkward presenting. Even the confessions aren't the same without Matt's daft comments and laugh or Nigel's waffling.

Anyone else lament the passing of the old Drivetime show, prefer the new one or are you all Capital converts? (I'm doubting we have many Radio 1 fans based on our average demographics )

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I only listen to this radio station when I'm out of area for my own stations , so don't get to listen to often and am normally back in area by late afternoon so can't really comment . But I do like the mornings as and 10:30 quiz is a laugh

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I’m afraid I haven’t listened to Drivetime since John Dunn died.....in 2004...... weirdly I listen to a lot of chat radio nowadays LBC.. radio 4 etc....... must be an age thing..... certainly ain’t anything to do with me being an intellectual......

Thanks,
Barney

Screw the demographics, radio 1 all the way for me as I like to know the music when I go out and it keeps me in touch with my step daughters. Plus I quite like some of it .

Absolute Radio is the way forward Steve - not too much chat, but the odd bit of humour (Jason Mamford and Frank Skinner thrown in for good measure) and plenty of the good old tunes that make you shout "Oh I LOVE this one!" and turn your stereo to max.

You might have to either embrace the change Steve or jump ship and get yourself a new 'sound' for the ride home!

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday

I love LBC when I am near London .. james o'brien to me is a hoot as he is often so rigid in his ideals that nothing can move him to change , like is utter hatred for having to leave the EU, then you have someone who is being so wronged and he turns to mush  lol

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Hmm sounds like some new alternatives to try. Did give Capital a go upon recommendation but breakfast show was a bit grating.

Assume LBC is on digital, may have to try that, or Absolute 

Until the middleaged revolution is complete, the BBC controller is locked up in the tower and the drivetime show is restored to its former glory  

Steve Richardson

I love LBC when I am near London .. james o'brien to me is a hoot
I can only listen to him in small doses....  the first 15 - 20 minutes of his morning show I sometimes find he tends to just waffle and waffle..... I much prefer audience participation on a chat radio show.... I find some presenters thrive on being controversial.... 

Thanks,
Barney

So Steve, I'm curious to know; what have you decided to listen to in the car recently?

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday

So Steve, I'm curious to know; what have you decided to listen to in the car recently?

”

Currently being working through my Run Rig collection on the iphone, interspersed with Maiden, BonJovi and a bit of Bastille.

Radio who? 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments