What is Proofreading and Why Do You Need It?

By : Forum Moderator
Published 27th August 2018 |
Read latest comment - 3rd September 2018

I get asked about what proofreading and copyediting is all the time. So, I thought I would explain what you get if you pay for these services (from me or someone else!) and why you might need them!

What is proofreading?

Proofreading is checking for errors in any writing, this is usually the last check that happens before the text is published live on a website or printed. Depending on the set up there may be an editor that checks it first for any significant changes in wording. The proofreader looks at spelling, grammar, punctuation and consistency, as well as sense. If there is a style guide for the business that will be adhered to, anything the proofreader is unsure of will be highlighted and commented on. It is not the job of a proofreader to be the pickiest person on the planet (honest!) as there are some ambiguities when it comes to things like commas and as the wording has usually been finalised by this point and it may have been set into a style or format for print already, being extra pedantic is not helpful. They should be accurate but not makes changes just for the sake of it.

Will the work be perfect?

No. This is because no-one is perfect. As a perfectionist this is a bitter pill to swallow for me! As an industry we catch on average 80% of the errors, we cannot guarantee perfection as that would be madness and anyone who does promise that is lying. The time it would take to catch every single error would make it so expensive no-one would pay the price and you would need several checks by different people. However, having said all that, you can certainly expect major errors to be found and corrected and the vast majority of noticeable mistakes will be eradicated.

How long will it take?

How long is a piece of string? It really does depend on the project. I am generally reluctant to give out hourly rates and timescales until I have seen a sample of the work as they can be misleading and most people in my profession are the same. But on average, if it is well written, then I proofread at 2000 words an hour and I charge £18.00 an hour for that. There is a limit to how much proofreading can be done in one sitting, so for huge projects that also has to be taken into consideration.

What if I need more help?

Proofreading may not be enough, as it does not include rewording sentences if they sound wrong or are incorrect, that is when you need a copyeditor and luckily, I can do that too. This is something that gets agreed upon at the start of a project. Some text has been well written and edited by the time it gets to me, so proofreading is enough, but if it needs a little more tlc and you want some of the wording adjusted or perhaps English isn’t your first language, like I find with many of my student clients, then copyediting is for you. That’s £22 an hour and takes longer depending on the quality of the text, 1000-1500 words an hour is my rate, obviously other proofreaders offer different prices. As I am also a copywriter I am very skilled at rewording, so copyediting comes naturally.

What is the point? Can’t anyone good at spelling proofread my work?

Well, yes and no. They may find some errors for you, if your mother-in-law, uncle Brian or friend Clara, is great at spelling and grammar, by all means get them to read through your work. But they won’t be professionally trained or have the experience to catch many of the mistakes and they will also be doing it as a favour, so they have little accountability. If you produce written work, whether it is a blog, website or leaflet you want to sound professional. If you are a student, you don’t want to lose marks. Typos can end up costing you money if information is misleading and if your website looks unprofessional customers will look elsewhere, as in this day and age we can find an alternative service or product at the click of a button.

Another good resource is the Society of Editors and Proofreaders website (sfep.org.uk) of which I am a paid member. I also provide a copywriting service for blogs and Web copy. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything here. 

Does anyone have any proofreading horror stories? I met one author who had paid for proofreading by an unproven source and her book went to print with a lot of errors, reading reviews before you hire someone is definitely a good idea!

Comments

True about not being able to find every mistake,you can only correct them once someone tells you .. Although it is amazing at how many books have the odd spelling error or incorrect grammar ...

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

True about not being able to find every mistake,you can only correct them once someone tells you .. Although it is amazing at how many books have the odd spelling error or incorrect grammar ...”

They do, but imagine how many there were before a proofreader took a look. These days it's worse as you can self-publish quite easily and many don't allow in their budget for a proofreader.  The hardest thing of all is checking your own work, It's the hardest thing about copywriting for me! Checking my own writing takes ages. Checking someone else's is an actual joy 

I would hate to see a 1st edition lol but  I can imagine ...I have my own personal proofreader called spellchecker, without it I am lost and even so I do still find the odd mistaker here and there ;) 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Spell checkers have their place, they miss a lot though. Form instead of from etc. They definitely don't put me out of a job, luckily. 

You should get a job on the daily mail.....

Thanks,
Barney

You should get a job on the daily mail.....”
I wouldn't work for that scum if you paid me a million pounds! Their readership doesn't care about spelling and grammar just totally fabricated and sensationalised news. 

I've spotted a little error…. 

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday

I've spotted a little error…. 

Just proves my point. There's no prizes. 

Great post, stealing and going out on social media tomorrow

Rebecca opened my eyes to the importance of proofreading after telling me about a typo on our main call to action page, which it turns out had been there for years  I think it was the word "Listing" which tends to be quite important for a directory.

Another classic that got caught in time was a flyer for Edinburgh Tusted Trader. Four people including me that had been working on it missed that massive typo in the title! Thousands of them were to be printed for distribution by Trading Standards and Police Scotland. Could have been a very expensive and damaging own goal.

The eyes really do see what you want them to see, especially if you have been working on the content yourself.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments