Shocking Behaviour

By : Business Owner
Published 21st April 2020 |
Read latest comment - 24th April 2020

So not much shocks me about South Africa anymore (sadly) but this does absolutely take the cake of being the lowest scum of the earth and they are supposed to be in charge

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Africa’s municipal councillors are “looting” food parcel meant to be distributed to the poor across the country as millions go hungry because of the national lockdown.

The alleged incidents of corruption and food looting currently taking place have been reported in several provinces, where claims are being made that those in charge of the distributions – mostly ANC councillors – are not giving the food to the needy families, according to City Press.

The newspaper stated that there are fears that food-related protests, which have flared up in some provinces, could escalate if the national government does not intervene.

In Ramotshere Moiloa Local Municipality in Zeerust, two ANC councillors were suspended following allegations that they were asking for food parcel contributions from businesses, including foreign ones, for personal gains.

This week, the EFF’s chairperson in Mpumalanga, Collen Sedibe, laid criminal charges against MPL Jeanette Thabethe and SA Social Security Agency acting regional manager Kedibone Mathebula after a truck allegedly delivered food parcels to Thabethe’s home in Tekwane South, outside of Mbombela.

Sedibe alleged that the food parcels were being distributed at night to identified ANC members households.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) has come out saying that it has reliably informed that five of their (where DA has Councillors) wards in the Emfuleni Local Municipality (ELM) have been excluded from the distribution of food parcels while all their opposition, the ANC’s wards’ in this municipality are benefiting.

The DA said that the ELM is not even considering people that were already on the indigent registers in these wards and that this has resulted in many families who are desperately in need of food not receiving any food parcels.

“The Gauteng Department of Social Development (DSD) officials and some politicians have allegedly been stealing and unfairly distributing food parcels that are meant to assist the financially strained families during this lockdown period.”

DA Northern Cape calls for councillors to be charged for alleged food parcel theft

The DA in Northern Cape has called on the Dawid Kruiper Municipality to take criminal action against the Ward 14 councillor and committee members accused of stealing food parcels in Leerkans.

The DA’s provincial chairperson Harold McGluwa said Leerkans community members reported the councillor and committee members in question to the police.

“They accused them of stashing away food parcels for themselves and for family members.

“The DA is deeply aggrieved by these allegations.

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World
Comments

That's terrible. I thought South Africa had progressed and was moving forward. I know there have been political tensions and disproportionate wealth (like India) is a worry, but I'd assumed the Government was pretty solid.

But this paints a picture of widespread corruption of officials at all levels

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Sadly far from stable. The ANC is killing the country and lack of money (which so called politicians are steeling left right and center) There is not enough electricity so almost every day they have shutdowns. Going the way of Zimbabwe.. Oh and white farmers are being slaughtered every day (had to get that in as it's true) and nothing is being done about it   

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Where there’s a politician..... there’s corruption....

Thanks,
Barney

I only seem to hear deeply sad and troubling things about South Africa. I have had many approach me wanting a new CV, but they can't afford it as the exchange rate is abysmal. It's a sad state of affairs. 

This Thread is now closed for comments