Q&A for Peeps who're hiring remote

By : Forum Member
Published 29th September 2021 |
Read latest comment - 1st October 2021

Hello amazing peeps and lurkers of this forum, I have a question for the HR managers out there.

I've recently connected with a client who wants us to do their HR duties for them, mainly their recruiting and onboarding process. When I read up about their company, they were based in the US! I had told them that the prime locations we serve are in Bristol, London, and Nottingham (i.e. mainly in the UK) and we clarified things on a zoom call.

Apparently, he wants me to do the remote hiring and onboarding process for them not as a member of my company, but as a freelancer/contract project. He said that one of his colleagues (a previous client of mine) recommended me to him when he was searching.

Now, we still do HR in my company traditionally (e.g. we're looking for people who can still work on-site, or a hybrid position) so hiring a completely remote employee is still unbeknownst to me. 

I read up on useful articles to get me up to speed but I'm still at a loss. Have any of you had any experience in hiring purely remote employees? What would the legal aspect be like (e.g. taxes, benefits, etc)? This client offered me a huge sum for my services so any answers are highly appreciated!

junipermaria
Comments

Hiring an employee either remotely or locally makes little difference other than the logistics of communication. Employment law is in the process of playing catchup when it comes to things such as pay and conditions, ie can remote workers be paid less, as they have lower costs, ie no travel. But it's down to a businesses employment contracts and there are plenty of ways to onboard remote staff and build trust in the same way as you would for physical employees.

If you are in the HR field and are struggling with this concept, I suggest you get some training asap as hybrid and remote working are the future, not a short term blip.

Please don't any more link dumping, otherwise it's the boot.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments