Adwords - lowercase URL

By : Forum Member
Published 25th January 2011 |
Read latest comment - 27th January 2011

For those that use adwords, Google are changing the way you can display your URL... Google AdWords Display URL Changes: Boon or Bust? - Search Engine Watch (SEW)

Must admit it's baffling to me as to why they would want to do it and will be intersting to see if they will revert back to allowing caps. Interesting it only impacts the root domain. Directories from that are fine?!

Bizarre.
Comments
Just had a flap when I saw this, was just about to ping MagnifyB as we use caps in our URL's, but panic over, google will automatically make them lower case:

"There

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarGuest
26th January 2011 9:41 AM
What a load of and !!

As the article says on SEW, us PPC dudes have experimented for years to get the optimum CTR and the use of capitals has been a winner for everyone I know in the trade.

However, Google never does anything without a ulterior motive or something that will be to their advantage. I am again playing with the idea that Google may start mixing the organic and paid for listings. If they are trying to make paid for listing look more like organic (and the removal of capitalisation is one of them) this is will the first step.

If you think about it logically Google makes it's fortunate from advertising and not from natural/organic listings. Some peeps say that Joe Bloggs is getting a little bit wiser to paid for advertising on the search engines and this is coursing fewer companies to use it as an advertising method or at least cut their annual spend.

Will be interesting to see what their next move is but if they do mix the 2 types of search results you know where you read it first

Reckon you could be right, and with more and more google places listings blocking up the results, between that and sponsor links, the organic results are going to end up on page 2!

Steve Richardson

That would be complete irony, the day search engines start "hiding" their adverts in organic listings employing black hat techniques such as blending the ads to match the organic results.....

nickora

forum avatarGuest
26th January 2011 11:52 AM
That would be complete irony, the day search engines start "hiding" their adverts in organic listings employing black hat techniques such as blending the ads to match the organic results.....

I don't think they will "hide" them in a black hat way. I think they will still have a little "Ads" wording at the side of any paid for listings and maybe a slight and subtle colour highlight.

I don't think they will change anything over night but in 5 years time, if they haven't done something of this natural........I'll eat my hat!

forum avatarGuest
26th January 2011 11:54 AM
Reckon you could be right, and with more and more google places listings blocking up the results, between that and sponsor links, the organic results are going to end up on page 2!

Reckon Google Places listing will be a chargable service before long too!

Reckon Google Places listing will be a chargable service before long too!

unfortunately thats a safe bet

Steve Richardson

Are you guys serious? Im going through google places at the moment for a client and all i see is mountains of spam building up!
honestly before they started listing places the business reviews for my local estate agents were very low, all of a sudden they all have a shed load of glowing reviews (with similar keyword rich titles i might add).

Why on earth would google make it a paid service? the whole point is to provide accurate listings not who can pay the most...

nickora

Why on earth would google make it a paid service? the whole point is to provide accurate listings not who can pay the most...

For the same reason that they are flooding the organic results with places listings.

If you have the market cornered, who's going to argue? Or maybe I'm being over cynical...

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments