Snow - whats the cost?

By : Forum Member
Published 6th January 2010 |
Read latest comment - 7th January 2010

So I was talking before the New Year about our local lack of snow - ok it hit last night & we have had around 3 or 4 inches.

Local schools are shut, looks like ive got to cover looking after my boys tomorrow morning unless they open or unless I can get a friend to look after them for me. Joy an enforced half day off! (don

Clive
Comments
Local schools are shut, looks like ive got to cover looking after my boys tomorrow morning unless they open or unless I can get a friend to look after them for me. Joy an enforced half day off! (don

tomsk

Its interesting how your view point changes when it comes to kids.

I used to be quite unsympathetic to the plight of one of the guys/gals taking time off because little Johhny was sick, or the school was shut, or 1001 kid related reasons why you were late in.

Then you become a father and the veil of mystery is lifted, after working from home for 2 days as the little one and her mum were ill

But as a business owner, I'm also aware of the cost of disruption, especially to a small business, so I think Clive has a point. I wonder how many of our local urban schools are shut for fear of being sued after little Johnnys slipped in the snow, rather than the electricity going down.

The roads were icy and needed a bit of care, but perfectly drivable. But watching the local news was like witnessing armegeddon, not the aftermath of 2 inches of snow.

We used to have a lot worse, a lot more regularly, and coped an awful lot better. I can understand closures in more remote rural areas, but am a bit cynical by the blanket school closures today. More Elf & Safety than common sense and Dunkirk spirit

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

My father was a teacher and if my memory serves he was always in school in most conditions, and he lived around 20 miles from his school. My brother is also a teacher, have to admit I don

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments