Running a business from home

By : Growing Business
Published 14th January 2010 |
Read latest comment - 24th May 2010

Sorry if I ask a lot of questions

I'm planning my business, and initially I plan to work from home,using a converted bedroom.

I cant see any reason why I can't do this, and I assume I need to check with my mortgage people and house insurance, but there isn't any obvious legal reason why I cant do this?

I want to put in a new telephone line just for the business, doing things like this wont make any difference to council tax etc.

Also ive been told I can claim for things against the business such as household bills etc.

thanks for the help

Paula
Comments
The forums tagline is Business Advice, help and assistance, so ask away

Running a biz from home, no problem. As you say, double check with your morgage lender. You will need business insurance as well, plus depends if you will visit customer sites/homes, you will need to be covered for that. (stepping on Gardes toes)

Rule of thumb, you won't get into trouble as long as you don't cause a nusiance to those around you. ie if you have non stop delivery vans, equipment all over the front lawn, dangerous materials being stored, lots of extra noise etc.

Pretty common sense stuff.

HMRC site is a good place to find out about what you can claim etc.

Not sure about council tax, as far as I'm aware, and remember from my early days, I don't think it made any difference to the council tax.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Running a biz from home, no problem. As you say, double check with your morgage lender. You will need business insurance as well, plus depends if you will visit customer sites/homes, you will need to be covered for that. (stepping on Gardes toes)

Yes Steve you are on my toes! But actually as much as it pains me he is right lol

Insurance will need to cover business equipment, normally you can extend most High Street policies to include this if not you can cancel & get a pro rata refund and then take a policy out with a company that will cover both your liability and home/business contents, but like Steve said they may get funny if you have visiting customers and may withdraw theft cover.

Think everything else you have covered yourself, think your accountant can advise what you can claim for etc.

If you get stuck with insurance please feel free to pm me, im slightly out of touch with new legislations but the core issues shouldn

Clive

thanks guys.

The HMRC site isnt the easiest site to navigate!

Paula

forum avatarKip FX Design
18th January 2010 11:34 AM
It is also very important to know that if you do write off one of your rooms as business use in a mortgaged or owned house the HMRC have a right to own that percentage or take extra tax should you come to sell it on, ie if you have a 5 room house and use 1 room for business, thats 20%, look into this a bit more Paula, there are some horror stories out there, get a consultation with a good accountant first.

Especially with all the penny pinching they are known for and this year looks like they have stepped it up a bit too!

The HMRC site isnt the easiest site to navigate!

You are telling me lol !
Perfect example of how not to run a website

Clive

It is also very important to know that if you do write off one of your rooms as business use in a mortgaged or owned house the HMRC have a right to own that percentage or take extra tax should you come to sell it on, ie if you have a 5 room house and use 1 room for business, thats 20%, look into this a bit more Paula, there are some horror stories out there, get a consultation with a good accountant first.

Especially with all the penny pinching they are known for and this year looks like they have stepped it up a bit too!

oh my god!!! HMRC could own part of your house Thanks for the tip, will make sure I check that one out

Paula

forum avatarCADMAN
4th March 2010 9:35 AM
Hi I know it's a bit late but I thought I's put in my 2 pennys worth and tell you to consider incubators. I have just started my own 3D and Product design freelancing business in Gloucester. I've opted for a desk in a shared office called Quays Creative, my office is specifically for creative industries but they are set up all over the country for all industries.

Business rates, electricity, cleaning, internet, heating and parking, it's all included and subsedised by the government so I pay

Business rates, electricity, cleaning, internet, heating and parking, it's all included and subsedised by the government so I pay

Stavros

forum avatarCADMAN
4th March 2010 11:09 AM
I think it's a case of you get what you pay for, I don't know where you've been looking Stavros but I'm on the newly developed Gloucester Docks complex, where parking alone is usually

This Thread is now closed for comments