Obama 12 months in, whats the verdict so far?

By : Administrator
Published 22nd January 2010 |
Read latest comment - 25th January 2010

Good article from Business Week:
Obama Starts Over - BusinessWeek

"...After a tough first year, the President's economic agenda and standing will be challenged again in 2010 by soaring joblessness, ugly budget deficits, and Obama fatigue among independent voters

...For Obama, 2010 will be a year of finding 10% solutions. Last year's $1.4 trillion budget deficit is nearly 10% of the economy, and the unemployment rate is also stuck at 10%. And here's the dilemma: Cut the budget deficit by raising taxes or reducing spending and you risk slowing down the economy and pushing up unemployment. Spur job creation through tax credits for new hires or infrastructure spending and you blow out the budget...."

So after all the hype died down, and now he has had 12 months in the top job, I wonder what the verdict is now?

Across the pond, he appears to us as pretty liberal compared to Bush, but he's made some hard choices, such as increasing troop deployments, as well dealing with economic meltdown.

Does he live upto the pre election hype, has he proved himself, or has he dissapointed?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
I am confused about the reception that he is now recieving in the USA perhaps one of the US bods can enlighten us.

I watched his campaign in great detail and he has always said the same things about health care and economics.
so why when he gets in the hot seat why does the general public start bitching and moaning about his policies especially health care.

I have read a fair few articles about peoples perceptions of his NHS plan and they really dont want it, yet these people are just run of the mill Joe soaps who stand to benefit the most from free health care.

there argument is the whole taxation increase is a kin to robbing the rich and giving to the poor. yet these people are not millionaires and alot of them dont have adeqaute health insurance so surely this would be a good thing.
perhaps I am little nieve?

It totally confuses me!!!

Stavros

forum avatarPolarisld33
22nd January 2010 4:30 PM
Living in America, all I can say is I've heard a lot of talk, but I've seen nothing change. Healthcare is rediculously expensive so I hope to see changes there (my significant other hasn't been able to afford insurance in 8 years). Unfortunately, many of the illegal immegrants fill up the heathcare services meant for people who can't afford insurance. It's sad to see illegals getting better healthcare treatment than many American citizens. My significant other was more or less turned away from one clinic becauses he didn't speak Spanish. Long story short, Obama is fighting a losing battle no matter what he does.

Hi Polaris

Interesting feedback, there are similar arguments in the UK ref our National Health System which tries to offer cradle to grave care for all, but in reality is crumbling under the strain because we can't afford it.

One of the arguments is immigration, mainly from East European countries, one example in rural areas is strain on meagre resources as medical staff need things like translators!

Health care is such an emotive but crucial subject, but such an incredibly expensive and complicated system to implement. I don't envy anyone in the top job.

Taking your point, I wonder how Obama could make a visible change to the average person in the street. It's normally done with tax breaks, but I guess he hasn't had that luxury!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Yep Stev has a point but we do get paid for EU based imigrants.

The biggest problem we have is non EU countries Nigeria etc. as we cant claim back any compensation but the hipocratic oath prevents doctorsnurse from with holding health care.

I read a news paper article earlier last year and the patient who had terminal cancer ( I must point out that she had purpoisely flown here to recieve medical assistance) was demanding that here family were flown over to spend her last few months with them albeit using our tax dollars for the cost and the local authority refused to pay and so did the Govt stating the here care was paliative and they would fund the cost of her returning home and the associated meds she needed.

She is trying to take them to the high court for a resolution.

I hope that he can pull it off and learn from our failed lessons.
A view from over the pound always shows America to be a country that are not scared to implement hard and fast rules when it comes to the welfare of the nation.

Stavros

This Thread is now closed for comments