By Sharpink : Forum Regular
Published 29th February 2012 | Last comment 28th March 2020
Comments

Nope - she still puffs away.

Notably she is quiet on this thread 

Clive

Just wanted to share the fact that I gave up smoking 3 days ago

Still got a stressful day job..thumbsdown

Still running the shop and working on our website...

Am I coping?

WHAT DO YOU THINK.....arghhhhhhhhhhhh

back soon with further updates, probably from HMP Hull.”

well done

i did it 9 years ago, if i can do it anyone can, keep it up i feel so much better no more coughing

Thanks,
John connelly

I have now achieved 6 years plus..... but glad to see the thread is still getting noticed haha.

Still looking for the money saved 

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

Must admit I’m still off them and e-cigs too.... not sure about the length of time, definitely haven’t smoked since I left London. Weirdly as a kid I use to love the odour of cigarette smoke... now I find it stomach churning.... As to the money saved... I find you tend to spend any savings elsewhere.... and the taxman is no worse off...

Thanks,
Barney

You'd think that, after the few health scares I've had that I'd finally learn, but no. I've stopped and caved a few times over the years and began to feel a lot like a yo-yo, so for now it's business as usual.  What I do think, however, is that it's purely a state of mind. The craving for the nicotine and "not being able to cope without nicotine"  is purely because your body is used to having it in your system and because it's seen as a coping mechanism. I have some rather nasty tasting teas that I could use to help curb the cravings,  but for now, I'm good. I'm busier helping other people with me herbs anyway.  (that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Thanks,
Dreamraven

What I do think, however, is that it's purely a state of mind”
I could not agree more. Like you I YoYo'd many times but never really had the genuine desire to quit. Then a combination of my health, the increasing cost and the death of a close friend aged 50 (smoking related illness). I went to see my GP, he encouraged a brief period of counselling and a cessation course. I politely told him I was a Probation Officer, I had no time for counselling and I just needed the fudging tablets!

Don't think the tablets really affected me, I think they had a placebo effect and if I am brutally honest stopping was much easier than I thought. That said, I was committed to stopping on this forum and more importantly I was ready....

my state of mind was very clear.  I do hope you get there Dreamraven and I am sure you will when you are ready.

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

What I do think, however, is that it's purely a state of mind”
I could not agree more. Like you I YoYo'd many times but never really had the genuine desire to quit. Then a combination of my health, the increasing cost and the death of a close friend aged 50 (smoking related illness). I went to see my GP, he encouraged a brief period of counselling and a cessation course. I politely told him I was a Probation Officer, I had no time for counselling and I just needed the fudging tablets!

Don't think the tablets really affected me, I think they had a placebo effect and if I am brutally honest stopping was much easier than I thought. That said, I was committed to stopping on this forum and more importantly I was ready....

my state of mind was very clear.  I do hope you get there Dreamraven and I am sure you will when you are ready.

Do you still get the urge / craving for a cigarette Ray?..... Must admit I still get the cravings at least 2 or 3 times a week.... only lasts a couple of minutes though.... saw too many people lining up to have their legs amputated last year for me to start again....

Thanks,
Barney

Been vaping for 2 years now, was a "50gm Tobacco Pouch in 4 days" kinda guy.

Saw instant health benefits across the board, have not had even a puff of o cigarette since, and have never had a craving.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones. 

Regards,
Simon_G

Do you still get the urge / craving for a cigarette Ray?....

I like the smell of fresh smoke but hate the smell of stale smoke?

In terms of cravings, very high stress moments can trigger a brief craving but nothing that I can't handle. 

When I am locked up (part of my day job) I can get cravings but I dont think about cigs when I leave the prison? I guess its a simple psychological dilemma, when I am locked in I can't have a cig so I want one. When I leave, I can have a cig but choose not to? Weird. 

It is perhaps worthy of note that tobacco now sells at around 15 times the retail value in prison. In other words a £10 pack of cigs will cost you £150 on the inside. 

When the government bans something it simply creates a lucrative black market for others to exploit and get rich. 

My sense of smell is now better than the drug dogs, I can smell a smoker from 500 yards....

"Simon" you are indeed very lucky

"not had even a puff of o cigarette since, and have never had a craving".

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

Thumbs up for not smoking for 3 days. Keep it up!

berylliumcrash

This Thread is now closed for comments