What online advertising do you use?

By : Growing Business
Published 20th April 2012 |
Read latest comment - 16th September 2012

I have a small advertising budget and I'm not sure what to do with it so I'm interested to learn what types of advertising everyone here uses.

Are you still using newspaper or magazine ads and have you noticed their effectiveness waning?

Do you use paid for ads on national listing sites like Yell.com and if so do you think they are value for money?

Do you simply rely on free to advertise sites or do you believe they are a waste of time?

Are there any portals you've tried that worked really well and did you see any significant SEO benefits for your own website?

Are you of the opinion that business type has a direct bearing on different types of advertising effectiveness?

Any info or suggestions will be gratefully received.

SCentral
Comments
I have a small advertising budget and I'm not sure what to do with it so I'm interested to learn what types of advertising everyone here uses.

Are you still using newspaper or magazine ads and have you noticed their effectiveness waning?

Do you use paid for ads on national listing sites like Yell.com and if so do you think they are value for money?

Do you simply rely on free to advertise sites or do you believe they are a waste of time?

Are there any portals you've tried that worked really well and did you see any significant SEO benefits for your own website?

Are you of the opinion that business type has a direct bearing on different types of advertising effectiveness?

Any info or suggestions will be gratefully received.

I learnt a lot from this article in regards to the online side of marketing. The cool thing about online marketing is it's flexible i.e fairly easy to switch providers, it's also relatively in-expensive in many ways too with SAAS. In regards to offline or traditional marketing, it's still important despite ceding ground to digital. Events are still huge for most businesses in the business of selling stuff e.g trade shows.

Thanks,
Lion

My business is relatively new and like you I don't have a huge advertising budget by any means.

At the moment its a 50/50 strategy split between SEO and display advertising. SEO is of course a fundamental part of running a online business.

Display advertising is good generally from a branding perspective, Conversion rates are low and so is the average click through & CPC, but what you get in return is immense. Display advertising allows me to get my brand out there and seen by people that otherwise would of never heard of me. Plus the fact I can get coverage of sites where the print equivalent would literally cost me thousands !!!

Richardwell25

Have you also tried Google ads? These work quite well for us and you can control things really well.

Azolla

My business is relatively new and like you I don't have a huge advertising budget by any means.

At the moment its a 50/50 strategy split between SEO and display advertising. SEO is of course a fundamental part of running a online business.

Display advertising is good generally from a branding perspective, Conversion rates are low and so is the average click through & CPC, but what you get in return is immense. Display advertising allows me to get my brand out there and seen by people that otherwise would of never heard of me. Plus the fact I can get coverage of sites where the print equivalent would literally cost me thousands !!!

Thanks for your input Richard. When you say display ads, do you mean in your local newspaper? I'm a little confused as you talk about conversion and cpc.

@Azolla. I haven't used google ads yet but it's one of the options I'm considering.

TBH I only have enough cash to do a fair job in one area. I feel that if I try to spread the budget around, there won't be enough to do justice to any of the options.

SCentral

The problem with advertising in local papers is just that, its local and your target audience if your living up Ben Nevis is rather small I would have thought. Advertising in local papers is expensive I use to spend around

Thanks,
Barney

Have you also tried Google ads? These work quite well for us and you can control things really well.

Fighting the urge to do a sales pitch.... but do agree with Azolla, Google adwords is a highly effective form of online marketing.

I partly disagree with Richard though, I'm assuming by display advertising, he means PPC (adwords), and a new business shouldn't worry about brand or having your advert displayed thousands of times. PPC should be conversion led, in other words you want to the minimum amount of clicks for the highest amount of conversions. Aim for a 25% conversion rate, and keep tweaking until you get there.

Remember a conversion doesn't have to be a sale, a conversion is whatever you decide is a good end result, sale, sign up, lead etc.

Get hold of an adwords voucher (just google adwords voucher) set a daily budget of

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

You can also try your luck with the classified ads it wont cost you a penny, not sure how good they are, but they are free

Thanks,
Barney

SMO with facebook, twitter, and the like can be incredibly useful. Individually, the sites are helpful and useful. Together, they can open up so many more doors for you.

printbucket

If you are still a starting entrepreneur with a small budget for advertising, you probably want to use social networking sites. They're free and can reach a lot of potential customers.

amygarside

This Thread is now closed for comments