Blogging

By : Forum Member
Published 26th July 2012 |
Read latest comment - 21st March 2013

It is recommended everywhere to add value to your SEO campaigns by means of blogging.

Here is for example a useful resource
5 Reasons Blogging Is The New SEO | Convert With Content

It obviously makes sense as the content gets rich and is updated on a regular basis which makes Google happy.

However my concern is the actual page for blogging which is normally a separate page. www.yourdomain.com/blog

I am trying to contribute by adding more content to my home page as this is the page I want to be searchable and be my landing page.

To avoid messing and keeping it neat I tend to use panels (have a look Local Hairdressers Milton Keynes | Home Hair Salon) so the articles are hidden unless you click a button.

Now if I move all of the content to a separate page, the home page may be in danger of loosing its value.

I appreciate I can put a link to the home page from the blog page but I dont think it would add as much weight as the actual content.

The bottom line is, I do want to blog but I dont want to waste my time for a page I dont need promoting.

Would be good to have any comments or thoughts on this

Thanks,
linastylist
Comments
It is recommended everywhere to add value to your SEO campaigns by means of blogging.

I'm prob in the minority, but I disagree. Blogging is all well and fine if you are a good blogger putting up regular updates. There's nothing worse than an unloved or unused blog, which is why I have abandoned our blog

Rich content has been the way forward since the dawn of the web, but there's more to rich content than just blogging.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are basically using your homepage as the blog? But I can't see any posts that I can respond to or make comments?

If that's the case, this isn't a blog, it's just good content. Why not leave all this great content where it is, and start an actual blog? Or even go one better and start a hair dressing forum, even more great content with user interaction

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I know a forum would be the best way for interacting however this is not my intention and sorry for the misunderstanding.

My purpose is add articles including short and long, then updating those articles with more content etc.

As far as I understand people call it blogging.

I am running out of space in my home page however if I create a new dedicated page I may loose the focus for Google

Thanks,
linastylist

My purpose is add articles including short and long, then updating those articles with more content etc.

As far as I understand people call it blogging.

Articles and blogs are two different things.

Articles are (normally) static content, ie one off documents, hosted on either your site or article directories.

A blog is (normally) a catalogue (is that the right word?) of different topics arranged in chronological order, and each blog topic normally has the ability to invite feedback and comments, making the blog a conversation, not a static document. This is why blogs (and forums) are great content generators. You start it off, and then other people add their own thoughts.

But I wouldn't host a blog on your home page for a number of reasons, including as you say running out of space!

Updating, adding content is definitely a good thing, I think you just need to get clear in your mind if you want to set up and regularly maintain a blog, or write occasional articles.

Steve Richardson

I think you just need to get clear in your mind if you want to set up and regularly maintain a blog, or right occasional articles.

Occasional articles

But those articles are to be updated as well therefore they are not going to be static I think are they?

Thanks,
linastylist

Occasional articles

But those articles are to be updated as well therefore they are not going to be static I think are they?

It's static content in the fact that only you that can change them, ie they are not open to comments or feedback.

Maybe start a blog as well You might get the bug..

Steve Richardson

If blog update regularly, Its brings us better SEO.

nashir

But I think if you'll also place everything on your home page, you are close to the danger of over-optimization. It's just wise to move them to other pages. And it's better for your readers.

Thanks,
longlivemedia

I'm prob in the minority, but I disagree. Blogging is all well and fine if you are a good blogger putting up regular updates. There's nothing worse than an unloved or unused blog, which is why I have abandoned our blog

Rich content has been the way forward since the dawn of the web, but there's more to rich content than just blogging.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are basically using your homepage as the blog? But I can't see any posts that I can respond to or make comments?

If that's the case, this isn't a blog, it's just good content. Why not leave all this great content where it is, and start an actual blog? Or even go one better and start a hair dressing forum, even more great content with user interaction

I'd agree with this. There is no point in blogging just for Google. The point of a 'good' blog is that the owner is generally really interested in the blogs subject, and so produce naturally great content, which is of real interest and value, which is what makes 'Google happy'.

However, if your intending to create a blog for the benefit of SEO and to think your making Google happy then you will probably do the opposite and produce run off the mill content that isn't great, unique or interesting.

Create great content for your site, and as mentioned, create a separate blog on a new hosting account and create great content for that too.

Paul Myers

forum avatarRafaelJames
20th March 2013 5:02 AM
Blogging is a very good Off page technique to promote websites. If your content quality is good and blog contains all information about concerned topic then it will get a large amount of visitors which is helpful for online business also. You can also promote your blogs by generating back links of that blog in social media websites.

RafaelJames

This Thread is now closed for comments