Youngsters in call centres - 21st century slave trade?

By : Administrator
Published 19th February 2010 |
Read latest comment - 26th February 2010

I know we all have to start somewhere, but do businesses that enagage call centres ever wonder about the quality of some of the sales staff?

Just been cold called by a rep from someone called RTA wanting to know if I want to flog my business.

"hello sir this is RTA, are you the business owner?"

"Yes, RTA? Thats an unfortunate name?"

"Why?"

"Road Traffic Accident?" I've watched Holby

"No sir, we're not called that, it stands for something else."

"I didn't think it would be, so what do you want?" Got the give the lad a chance, bearing in mind he sounds about 12.

"Do you want to sell your business?"

"No"

"Would you like a free valuation?"

"Depends, whats involved?"

"Oh its very quick and easy, won't take any time at all, shall I arrange for someone to visit?"

"If its quick and easy, can't they do it over the phone?"

"No sir"

"Do they need access to our books?"

"I don't know sir, shall I ask them to visit?"

"Erm, no, 'cause I'm not selling, but thanks anyway"

If I was interested in selling my business, I would have little confidence in dealing with someone who sounded wet behind the ears and is obviously following a script.

We've tried it ourselves and used a call centre for a while, the varying standards of quality are amazing, and we ended up falling into the cold calling trap, which may work for some businesses, but didn't for us.

But it's a thankless job, so respect to the youngsters that do wade through their auto diallers with the superviser watching over their shoulders, and regulated toilet breaks.

I know I couldn't do it

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
It never amazes me, I have been in so many arquements with Talk Talk at the moment about a 17 yr old who sold us a phone package but didnt place half the order.

I think it's a good learning point, I learnt quite a lot from working for My Local Services

Thanks,
Kevin.Wiles

Oh go on then Steve, I'll chomp at the bit! As you know I have only just gone back to private practice since redundancy and have done all that I can to register with free and some paid advertising. Gets first page results.

Since a week ago I have maybe taken 20 calls from advertising peeps and of course the usual...

"Will you help the Fire Brigade out by adverting on this years candelar? "

"Go on then...why not?"

"We have just one place left for a H&S Consultant and it will be

bonsai passion

lol, are we get bombarded with the calander stuff, other favourite is helping the local schools scam. We nearly got stiffed, as they seem to think answering the telephone constitutes a sale.

You can have some fun with overseas call centres, especially whern they have had their local knowledge training. "How is the weather in wales?" No idea mate, I'm in Warwickshire

Steve Richardson

forum avatarKip FX Design
22nd February 2010 12:12 AM
In my past life, I used to train telesales staff, I even went on to set up 2 call centres, one in Wakefield and one in Kent, so I am a nightmare for sales calls, they tend to ring me once and not try again!

I judge them on how I would have judged my own staff, if they suck they get a nightmare client tying them up in knots, and if they are any good, they leave with a boost of confidence and a hopefully they carry on doing it well.

I am extremely difficult for these people, but if they do it right, they could have me for life! I work with the person, never with the product!

I think it's a good learning point, I learnt quite a lot from working for My Local Services

Kev used to be part of our salesteam.

Glad your time with us was worthwhile, if nothing else, if you managed to absorb some of Clives customer service kama, then that should help you along nicely!

Told you you'd make a good techie, and now your in SEO! Top man

Steve Richardson

forum avatarKip FX Design
23rd February 2010 1:27 PM
Just now:

He: Hello, this is Shane from SEO India (I think)

Me: Shane?

He: Yes, we are a web design company in India, we are looking for . . .

Me: (Cut in) Do you know what business you have just rang?

He: No. We are outsourc. . .

Me: (Cut in) Do you not think you should see who you are ringing first?

He: Silence

Me: Are you going to speak or pretend that this call lasted longer for your dialler stats, so you do not lose your job?

He: Silence

Me: Phone on cradle

I will never pay a foreign company to do work that we are more than capable of doing here, I rarely get called twice, I have quite a gruff voice, so when it is a tad aggressive, people do not want to hear it again!

Another rant coming from me here!

I have no time for people paying South America, SE Asia, Asia etc for work that should be done here. Do people not realise how we are affecting the economy, and yet we blame the government, when we are to blame too.

Now we are selling off country assest's, to pay for mistakes made by us all, governments etc and our own stingy purchasing.

I know of a few people, I like to call friends, that have paid top money for coders and programmers over here, they could have saved sh** loads using chinese tech heads, but didn't, now another company has been able to grow and get new offices and staff in the UK. Another wanted to build a Bauhaus style self build, but stuck with British stock and work, and saved the company from going under!

Beware the butterfly effect people, we have kids that need a home after us!

Kev used to be part of our salesteam.

Glad your time with us was worthwhile, if nothing else, if you managed to absorb some of Clives customer service kama, then that should help you along nicely!

One is feeling highly praised

I dont think we do anything here that every organisation couldnt copy - we are polite (on the whole) courteous when spoken to courteously but strive to offer a simple yet effective service - plain and simple - its not rocket science so why as a Nation do we accept such poor customer service

I believe in delivering a service that leaves the user feeling special. We rarely get complaints (no im not just saying that!) but we honestly dont, if we do we resolve it quickly and efficiently, not passing the call around 3 different departments, not leaving the customer on the phone, " I can make your problem disappear right now"

Im up for hire btw, Customer Service Support or Training - rates to be negotiated

Clive

I did cold-calling in high school. I wasn't selling - my bonuses were based on getting the people I called to agree to have an *actual* salesman (who, y'know, had half a clue about the product) come to their homes.

What can I say. I was young. I needed the money. Don't judge me!

For the kids, it's not a bad job if you can get past the moral/ethical aspect and don't mind the verbal abuse... at least you're indoors and you don't go home smelling of cheap cooking fat which is more than can be said for most teenage jobs.

For the companies... what's the point in training your phone staff when most of them can't take repeated three-hour shifts of being continually told to eff off and quit within a week or two?

VirtuallyMary

... at least you're indoors and you don't go home smelling of cheap cooking fat which is more than can be said for most teenage jobs.

Hey dont knock the smell of burgers - i managed 18 months at least 4 days a week while i was at college - put me off a certian chain of burger restaurants for life, trouble is my kids love them despite my attempts to put them off

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments