Online Spending up 17.8% and 14% in the UK and US

By : Administrator
Published 8th January 2013 |
Read latest comment - 25th February 2013

Interesting to see some of the numbers coming in for Online Shopping over the festive period. As expected, online marketing is getting more important.

The US saw online spending up 14% but not as much as originally forecast, while the UK shot up by 17.8%.

But overall sales appear to have been disappointing with a slump in traditional retail and high street sales.
Many retailers have invested a lot in making their websites easier to use across devices and also increasing confidence in their online security," Helen Dickinson said.

"For the more established retailers, it seems that much of the growth is now coming from online orders, while shop sales are stagnant at best."

However, online retail was still only a small proportion of total sales, accounting for a little over 10%.

BBC News - Online shopping bolsters Christmas sales

So the message is getting louder and louder. If you sell or offer online services, this market is growing, especially the mobile market. I think free basic and amateur websites will now start to suffer as commercial websites become slicker, more professional and more importantly, mobile friendly!

I'll bet mobile devices will account for 40% of online traffic by Dec 2013, which is a lot of lost customers if you don't have a slick mobile solution!

Anyone have any good xmas results? Maybe up on the year before, or has it been the same as last year or worse?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
Definitely up on the previous years trading probably around 5%, although this seemed to have got wiped out in purchasing 2 new vans. Having taken a massive hit by Google 2 months prior to Christmas this also had a large effect, fortunately my other site worked ok, have now decided to pull the plug on the EMD site, I got fed up listening from different SEO bods about what I should do, so just zapped it dead (went from page 1 to page 70 overnight) Have now set up a new business, basically just split the existing one and have a newish site being done now and hopefully this will be up and running over the next week or two. The only problem I see in the future is the continued rise in material costs, which over the last couple of years have been absorbed, but I can't keep doing it. Local authorities don't help with their ever increasing parking charges either...

Thanks,
Barney

Local authorities don't help with their ever increasing parking charges either...

I think this is pretty poignant, parking charges are definitely contributing to the demise of the high street

When will local authorities wake up

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I think this is pretty poignant, parking charges are definitely contributing to the demise of the high street

When will local authorities wake up

The odd thing is that they can't claim they weren't told. Every time local authorities warn free car parking's about to end, the local shops complain they'll lose trade ... and they do.

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

I was doing some work in Marlow town centre over Christmas and New Year. A few things stood out quite clearly, there were signs saying you could park for free, disabled bays were clearly marked out and were not abused, plenty of them but not over the top either, Unlike supermarkets who seem to think they all need 100 disabled parking bays all at the front door. Nobody seemed to abuse the parking bays in Marlow, they came and went like normal shoppers / visitors. No traffic wardens in sight And from what I saw all of the shops were open and were a variety of trades. They may well all be finding it tough with trade in the current financial climate in Marlow, but the local authority are not putting up any barriers to make it harder for them. To me it was the perfect English town centre just as it should be...... I didn't buy anything though

Thanks,
Barney

Its definitely going to keep going up, the internet is the future of everything

DanielM

There's definitely a big trend towards mobile-browsing now, and people feeling more secure about paying through their tablets or phones.

You're right. I think 2013 will be a big year for mobile web. - And a slick responsive solution may be the answer, but also Apps are taking more and more market share. - A company's got to have a good digital strategy to compete these days.

Slough Business

This Thread is now closed for comments