What do you do if you are kicked out of your favourite forum?

By : Growing Business
Published 4th February 2013 |
Read latest comment - 25th February 2013

Please share your thoughts on this one.
How do you feel when you are kicked out of your favourite forum?
What do you do if you sense that no one appreciates you in your favourite forum?

Roxy
Comments

Find out why you were kicked off the forum (if you can send messages to admin/mods), apologise profusely, but if you either spammed the forum or disrupted it by causing flame wars, you're pretty much on your own.

What do you do if you sense that no one appreciates you in your favourite forum?

To me, it makes no real difference. I don't join a forum to become famous online and have people respecting me etc. So tis not about appreciation, its about being able to help where and when I can.

Have you felt like this before on forums?

Thanks,
Dreamraven

I'd be asking yourself, are people interested in the (rubbish??) you write? Are your threads boring, cheesy, spammy, uninteresting, useless, self promotional, etc?

Are you asking really obvious questions that really, you ought to know the answer to which begs the question, why are you asking what is usually reasonably intelligent business owners? (if you're on a business forum, that is).

e.g. My clients never order from me after the first order, why is that?

If you can't come up with answers then you're not ready to be in business. That's a made up question by the way but I did read something similar not so long ago.

Are your threads always the same sort of thing and often in the same section of the forum? Might people wonder why you are actually on the forum?

e.g. this is a business forum so if you never engage in business discussions, people will question your motive for being here.

indizine
indizine

Find the nearest bridge and jump of it...

ahhhhhhhhhh <splosh>

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I'd be asking yourself, are people interested in the (rubbish??) you write? Are your threads boring, cheesy, spammy, uninteresting, useless, self promotional, etc?

Are you asking really obvious questions that really, you ought to know the answer to which begs the question, why are you asking what is usually reasonably intelligent business owners? (if you're on a business forum, that is).

e.g. My clients never order from me after the first order, why is that?

If you can't come up with answers then you're not ready to be in business. That's a made up question by the way but I did read something similar not so long ago.

Are your threads always the same sort of thing and often in the same section of the forum? Might people wonder why you are actually on the forum?

e.g. this is a business forum so if you never engage in business discussions, people will question your motive for being here.

Point taken

Roxy

By the way, people not engaging with you, and being kicked out, are 2 different things, though often related. If you post a lot of rubbish/nonsense/useless and then make one mistake of spam, link dropping, etc, on forums where it breaks their rules, then they will give you no leeway. Whereas a good forum member who makes a mistake or breaks a rule just rarely, will be given the benefit of the doubt because they otherwise make a good contribution to the forum. It's all about relevant contribution. Business forum ....needs relevant useful business contribution, and same if it was a car, baby, holiday, or other sort of forum. Has to be relevant to the users who frequent it. Again.......this SHOULD be obvious......but.....

indizine
indizine

Have you recently been ejected from your favorite forum?

Paul Green

Have you recently been ejected from your favorite forum?

why else would anyone ask such a question?....unless they're simply posting random silly questions for the fun of it....a few of those and they would get kicked off here too

indizine
indizine

why else would anyone ask such a question?

Really?
Ejected for a random silly question, in the 'Take a break' section.

Not that it changes the way my coffee tastes as I sit here taking a break, I was confused that Roxy was asking the question from the point of view of 'How do you feel when you are kicked out of your favorite forum?'

I'm not the syntax police, logic brought me to presume that in different languages when translated verbs nouns and adverbs etc can all be in a completely different order to 'traditional English language' Take German for example, when translated verbatim the sentences can become quite disorientating in English language, and with that surely I must be reading the question not as it was intended. With that in mind I decided that without being rude and while maintaining a focus on the take a break section atmosphere I concluded my question was valid, flexible in its interpretation and a non-offensive way of gaining more information while allowing everyone involved to save face, not be embarrassed or not to appear rude myself.

why else would anyone ask such a question?....unless they're simply posting random silly questions for the fun of it....a few of those and they would get kicked off here too

*FYI - I have many many foreign speaking friends and colleagues and they really don't get inferential sarcasm in the same way that us Brits have perfected over decades of brow beating, they much prefer it if your straight with them, and so do I, it makes perfect sense.

Paul Green

Roxy posted a valid question and we, as experienced moderators and multiple forum users, told her why people get kicked off a forum.

You asked a valid question and so did I.

If I ask on a forum "how would you feel and what would you do if you got refused car insurance" - logic tells us humans that this has likely happened to the OP or someone they know. Why else would anyone ask a specific question, unless they just wanted to post random questions.

But since the OP had already replied with "point taken", nor elaborate to say otherwise, we can reasonably assume it has happened to the OP, or maybe just had a warning.

indizine
indizine

This Thread is now closed for comments