Don't help your kids get jobs!

By : Administrator
Published 4th June 2013 |
Read latest comment - 17th July 2013

Or so says ex TV Dragon James Caan!

Parents should not help their children get into jobs, an ex-Dragons' Den entrepreneur has said.

James Caan, who is advising the government on social mobility, told the BBC job prospects should not depend on "who you know rather than what you can do".

This would also create a "slightly more fair society", Mr Caan said.

BBC News - Ex-Dragons' Den star Caan: Don't help your kids get jobs

Then later on in the article made me chuckle
According to a profile on the website of the James Caan Foundation, a poverty charity, Mr Caan's daughter Hanah "spent a year working at James Caan's private equity firm, Hamilton Bradshaw," and has been a trustee of the charity since 2010.

Would you (or have you) helped your kids? Isn't it human nature, and you can give your kids an advantage, then why not? I don't mean giving away made up jobs in your own business and created pampered princesses, rather using your contacts to give them a helping hand.

What do you think?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
I have helped my kids get jobs by helping them refine their CV and kicking their butt in their early days to go out and find jobs. Nag? Me? Yes!

indizine
indizine

I have helped my kids get jobs by helping them refine their CV and kicking their butt in their early days to go out and find jobs. Nag? Me? Yes!

So no mini me's sat coding away for you on tuppence an hour

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I don`t have any kids, yet - too young, lol However I believe that if you have managed to raise a decent child, helping them find a job is just one more way to give it a good start. However, if you have a spoiled one, used to getting what they want, when they want it - then even if you know Bill Gates personally will not be of great help!

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

One is doing sub contract gas services (laying new gas pipes to peoples houses or replacing old pipes under the roads) and the other is a private investigator and also does some work for me in between, usually online marketing and also some admin on my other business, but nothing too taxing!

indizine
indizine

I got confused - how many kids do you have

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

I think it depends on what kinf of job.
When i was 13 or 14 i have bring news papers and other magazins, to the people near me.

I think it shows to the children where money CAN came from, so that they go better to school ; ) or they will made the newspaper job looong time.

Germanguy

I think it's human nature to want to do everything you can for your child. I think there's a difference between helping them get a job (by refining their CV and kicking there butt as indizine said) and doing all the work for them.

As long as you show them how and give them the tools to do it themselves, there's nothing wrong with it.

And clearly Mr Caan is working on a 'Do as I say, not as I do' system

Holders

My parents didn't help me getting job, they just advised me keep yourself cool and calm when you are giving interview.

Additionally advised, the job you are looking for is must be the right choice where you can grow.

IanL

My eldest has more or less already decided what she wants to do. All I am doing is making sure she gets the right start and helping her choose where she wants to study. Her final decision, from wanting to be an engineer, is to go into forensic science. My youngest, bless her, has already decided on being a writer and a professor, so that route is easy to plan.

I help when I can, but they want to do this on their own, and make their own decisions, which I think is good, but also because la familia has already tried to help them researching on the net and what not, and its met with rolling eyes, a shake of the head, and politely say that they already know the direction they want to go into.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

This Thread is now closed for comments