Soft prison system? UK apparently are the masters of Torture!

By : Administrator
Published 30th May 2014 |
Read latest comment - 3rd June 2014

As a nation, we've certainly have had a long and colourful past. Some of it very impressive and fills you with pride, some of it more controversial, and some of it we'd rather forget or not know... especially when it's very recent history 

It seems we are pretty good at torture, and are considered quite talented in certain circles.

According to one of Brazils most notorious torturers, Col Paulo Malhaes:

"The Americans teach, but the English are the masters in teaching how to wrench confessions under pressure, by torture, in all ways.."

He admitted, privately, to the prosecutor, that he himself had gone to England to learn interrogation techniques that didn't leave physical marks...

"The best thing for him was psychological torture. When a person was in a secret place, it was faster to obtain information. He also studied in other places but he said England was the best place to learn."

The BBC has reported that the UK was assisting Brazils Dictatorship during the 1970's with interrogation technique training courses in the UK, and by sending agents to teach in Brazilian prisons. How the UK taught Brazil's dictators interrogation techniques

Should at least address the balance on the previous Should Killers get life thread, and maybe some freelance opportunities for Clive? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Waaaaaaaay ahead of you after my vandalised car this morning.

Just give me 5 mins with them, thats all i need to extract 3 or 4 teeth, or a few finger nails ..... they wouldnt do it again lol

Is it Iran or Iraq that chops off hands for theft, now thats what i call a deterrent 

Clive

As a nation we were masters in just about every dicipline you could ever imagine in days gone by. From our bowmen at The Battle of Agincourt to the Battle of Britain our technology and ability to invent ways of killing the enemy and overcome massive obstacles is the staff of legends. The art of torture being one of our better skills over the last 500 years, regrettably it is no longer used in main stream prisons, this would clearly breach human rights.....

is it still used against terrorists or spy's, the establishment are inevitably compelled to deny this type of behaviour. What the eyes don't see etc etc 

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

I often pass the pub near Tower Bridge called the Hung, Drawn and Quartered. Which kind of sums up our history... Apparently they only did this to the menfolk, women were just burned at the stake for reasons of public decency!

Thanks,
Barney

Theft and petty vandalism is just malicious, of course there are much worse crimes and Prison is the way forward.

Seems i'm in the minority for hanging etc for the more serious crimes, but for petty crimes, including the Amoeba that keyed my car, why can't we bring back the stocks?

24 hours in one surely would rehabilitate them? 

Clive

24hrs in one? Ha ha, let me see, start of with an early morning call around 8am, breakfast served at 8:30, doctors and medical treatment between 10am and 11am, workshop or gymnasium till 12:30pm. Stop for a spot of lunch, have a snooze till around 1:30pm, exercise till around 2:30pm, back to the workshops and possible visits from relatives / friends till 4:30pm, tea time with a selection of meals on offer till 5:30. 6:30pm till 8:30pm association with options to play snooker or table tennis, maybe watch a movie, phone home. 8:30pm retire to ones cell for the rest of the day and watch more television and partake in some recreational drugs.... Yeah that's going to teach them

Thanks,
Barney

24hrs in one? ........... Yeah that's going to teach them

I actually meant 24 hours in the stocks, 24 hours of public humiliation 

Clive

Theft and petty vandalism is just malicious, of course there are much worse crimes and Prison is the way forward”

I would be the first to agree that prison has a role to play in deterring low level crimes, however many courts reserve the custodial sentence for the more violent criminals. With only 84,000 beds we need to be careful who we lock up. 

I do like the idea of summary justice, public floggings for vandalism and the stocks for public order is a great and cheap alternative. My only reservation would be the introduction of the private sector ie G4S and others, they would flog the wrong person and still charge the government twice for thier failure....

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

Do think as a Nation we have gone soft.

Only 30-40 years ago Police were perhaps feared is the wrong word but could still command huge respect.

Kids are taught at a very early age that they have rights, whilst i totally accept that they do, they are not taught to respect their elders, the police or even the teachers anymore, instead they are taught they can do what they like when they like and "i don't have to do that if i don't want to!"

Society is self imploding due to a lack of respect to Law & Order.

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments