Should girls shun university and focus on homes and babies?

By : Administrator
Published 3rd June 2014 |
Read latest comment - 5th June 2014

Kirstie Allsopp (location location location) has put the cat well and truly amongst the pigeons!

In an interview with the Telegraph, she has a frank discussion talking about the recent loss of her mother, then gives a frank assessment on her views of marriage and the pressure put on women to have a career, as well as settle down.

“I don’t have a girl, but if I did I’d be saying 'Darling, do you know what? Don’t go to university. Start work straight after school, stay at home, save up your deposit – I’ll help you, let’s get you into a flat. And then we can find you a nice boyfriend and you can have a baby by the time you’re 27."

Kirstie Allsopp interview - The Telegraph

As predicted, the news networks are alive with controversy and story stirring. It's interesting though, a lot of the people I know had kids a lot later, into their mid to late 30's and even 40's. We had our kids late, compared to my parents generation.

There's no denying a lot of people are fighting nature, and biologically women are designed to have kids younger, not older. But if there are no major health risks, and you are able to, then why not? Is it better for a woman to build a career first, or start a business, and then take time out to have kids? Or is it just a simple case of having the choice?

Being a bloke, it's subjective and I know we are wired differently, but it must be hard to raise a family, and then start a career/business when you are older, without the previous experience you would have built up in your 20s/30's when you were super keen and enthusiastic?

But fascinating to hear Kirstie talking so candidly, although I do wonder how much more fuss would have been raised if the comments had been made by a male!

Anyone got any thoughts?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Havent read the full story, but imagine the fuss if a bloke had said that!?

I did have my kids when i was younger, well 28 & 32, the ex wife being a year younger. Without being sexist it seemed traditional to do that. Yes woman are having children later in life now but how healthy is it for them to do so?

Seem to recall and these facts may be wrong and 17 years out of date, but we had to have a test for our first son as the blood work came back with a high chance of a problem - it should have been somewhere around 1 in 5000 for her age group, but that increased to around 1 in 50 for a woman in her 40's for the same problem. Those kind of figures can't be ignored.

I am NOT saying woman can't have a career, but have a family and carry on, but IMHO have the family on the younger side as its much better for your body & health.

Clive

I have to say this has changed my opinion of Kirsty... Wouldn't it be lovely if we all had a silver spoon in our mouths and could afford kids in our 20's and didn't have to try and carve out a career and find someone you want to have children with.

bu**er off Kirsty and do some wallpapering, let real stories in! <rant over >

Thanks,
Pubby

I think this subject is a women's only issue, whatever men say will be taken the wrong way. My opinion is that everyone should do what they want. But my belief is, is that women should stay at home to look after the children and home, children need parents they do not need pre and after school clubs so the parent can go to work. Ok it maybe a sexist view and not very PC, but I'm man enough to take the flak

Thanks,
Barney

Or see how it looks if you address it to your boys instead of your girls.  "Avoid going to university, get a job & save for a deposit - we'll find you a nice girlfriend and you can have a baby by the time you're 27."  Mmm, sounds fun and rewarding.  Not.

Winger

This Thread is now closed for comments