The disabled children locked up in cages

By : Administrator
Published 14th November 2014 |
Read latest comment - 18th November 2014

Took the title directly from the BBC site, words fail me.

"Disabled people in Greece are often stigmatised and can struggle to get the support they need. Some disabled children who live in a state-run home are locked up in cages - staff say they want to improve conditions but money is short.

Nine-year-old Jenny stands and rocks backwards and forwards, staring through the bars of a wooden cage.

When the door is unlocked she jumps down on to the stone floor and wraps her arms tightly around the nurse. But a few minutes later she allows herself to be locked back in again without a fuss.

She is used to her cage. It's been her home since she was two years old."

Full story: BBC Website

Heartbreaking. Sometimes you look around this world we all live in and wonder if the human race has actually progressed or if it has regressed...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

How hideous. It beggars belief. It's only a stone's throw away in Greece too,  I love that country.  It's frightening that people can get the treatment of others,  especially vulnerable ones,  so wrong. It's all too common in this world. 

I agree that it's humbling and makes us realise how much we have to be grateful for in this country.   

I was reading this yesterday, and re-read it a few times. I genuinely dont know why or how people are capable of this. I mean, time outs at my house are even negotiable  but then again, reading the news in social networks for my own home area and surrounds, its not much better. I mean, a woman was arrested for dumping her newborn son in a refuse bag in a long drop (outside toilet dig out thing) and you have to wonder why people havent been certified to have kids yet, or why more stringent rules arent enforced with people looking after children, especially disabled children. It sucks, really. 

Thanks,
Dreamraven

There are some twisted people in this world. I like the idea of being certified to have kids not too sure how you will go about it though!

Shakester

This Thread is now closed for comments