Chancellors Autumn Statement - but guess who is on Twitter again

By : Administrator
Published 3rd December 2014 |
Read latest comment - 4th December 2014

So the chancellor is debating the Autumn Statement, and the news services are alive with facts and figures, money for flood defences, new towns, road infrastructure and putting Stone Henge on stilts etc.

All sounds great and no doubt designed to tick as many voters boxes as possible before we move into election hype.

But as we've come to expect, our illustrious leaders feel the need to connect instantly to the masses, and the masses will never let us down with their eloquent and formulated responses, respect and patriotic fervour for this fine nations Prime Minister 

So anyone got any positive thoughts on the Autumn Statement?

I like the sound of the 25% "diverted profits" tax for big companies, also being called the "Google tax"

Freezing Fuel Duty is welcome, especially with falling prices at the pumps. That's the sort of thing the man in the street wants.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I'm failing to see how we are a prosperous country, your right Steve this is all to do with the forthcoming general election. Ok so the unemployment figures have gone down or rather have been manipulated, but and no offense to the dog walking businesses that have set up over the last couple of years, but realistically they and similar types of businesses are hardly going help make the UK prosperous as their tax contributions will always be next to nothing and is probably on par with being an Avon lady. Then you have the people on tax credits no idea how many are on this but quite a percentage of the low paid workers are, so you now have a situation whereby taxpayers are subsidising large companies to survive by allowing them to pay low wages because the tax payer picks up the tab to pay their staff a wage to make it worthwhile them going to work.

The idea that the tax I and others pay to HMRC is to fund the likes of education, health services and all the other services we require in this country is absolutely fine, but all these services are being cut back. The armed forces are now more or less totally reliant on the territorials than full time service personnel and the only place I see this money going to is on tax credits. The Government is borrowing billions for this new building programme, with new roads and a new garden city, with more building generation going on in East London. So the country ends up in even more debt. I'm struggling to see how or why a country that is already trillions in debt can ask the world bank for more money and gets it, yet a small business with a properly thought out business plan can go to their bank ask for a few thousand and gets rejected because they don't tick all the boxes, which have been set by the Governments financial watchdog........

Thanks,
Barney

Interesting watching the reaction and various political posturing. No one really has come forward with a viable plan.

Good comment I thought from the CBI Director General:

"Most of what we've done in this parliament, frankly, has been efficiency savings, cuts in head count, controls on pay," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"If you're going to make the cuts we now need to make you've got to be far more lateral, you've got to re-engineer the whole model."

One "way forward" could be a reduction in the number of government departments, he suggested.

BBC News

no offense to the dog walking businesses that have set up over the last couple of years, but realistically they and similar types of businesses are hardly going help make the UK prosperous as their tax contributions will always be next to nothing and is probably on par with being an Avon lady.”

Agree, we need bigger and more sustainable businesses. Firms that will recruit and take on apprentices, firms that pay plenty of Corp Tax. Is it a mind set that seems to be driving us to lifestyle businesses versus a scalable business?  Do we worry about risk? Hmm, feel another thread coming on... 

Whichever way you look at it, the countries cupboards bare, resources stretched to the limit, a token military that has had it's professional reputation decimated in recent times as military ambition has gone out of synch with actual capability. Welfare seems to be finally under the spotlight along with changes to the NHS, but is it enough? 

As the CBI bloke said, "you've got to re-engineer the whole model", but which political party is going to step up to the plate and take the challenge on when you know it will be unpopular and lose votes. Instead we get tinkering and tweaking 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments