The Apprentice Rant

By : SEO
Published 23rd December 2014 |
Read latest comment - 24th December 2014

Hi guys, 

Wasn't going to post this here as didn't think it was really that relevant, but it has kind of exploded. 

If you watched the apprentice final then no intro needed. If not, basically Mark Wright won with his digital marketing idea..... Except I saw a few faults with his plan, and this mini-rant I had about his idea, went on to get 1,200 reads in 24 hours.... And bring in a few leads. So if you want to here "some guy" rant: http://ghostmarketing.co.uk/climb-online-the-apprentice/

Let me know what you think.

Tom.

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant
Comments

lol you beat me to it, I was going to have a very similar rant about this yesterday but got side tracked

I'll confess to being an Apprentice fan. Take it at face value, it's entertainment and a good laugh. I've been watching it since it started and genuinely miss the the TV shopping task they used to do, but I don't for one moment think this is the cream of Britain's business talent.

If you watch the follow up program on BBC2 afterwards hosted by Dara Ó Briain a lot of the candidates show how daft some of their business ideas were and most seem to have already decided to abandon them!

But onto Mark and his PPC agency.

"I've been in this industry for 3 years" A real veteran of the digital marketing age then 

But he's a salesman, a good salesman, but he is exactly why I can't get on with salespeople, they (for the most part) are very slick which to me comes over as false and fake. 

What he's not is someone who has worked at the technical level of the digital marketing scale. He has no idea about algorithms, semantic search, structured data or even I suspect the strategy of Google moving from search engine to search destination.

So without this understanding he is going to outsource and hire SEO's, which to be fair any agency has to, but I think as Tom says in his post, his employee salary expectations are hilarious.

How will he be different?

Well a consultant will sit down with you at your business and get to know you on a one to one level, then meet up with you once a month...

What a load of cobblers

So his overheads are rising and rising with his motley crew touring London doing their monthly site visits. His SEO bods that are any good are demanding pay rises or they will walk, leaving him with mediocre technical resource which means mediocre performance, which will become a damming reputation. Then there is the London office rent and bills, unless Lord Sugar is covering that.

I don't get the name. If I was going on the Apprentice with my well crafted and researched business idea and plan, I'm pretty sure I would have already come up with a name, reserved domain name (or holding page) etc. Unless they aren't allowed to? Game show versus genuine business show argument...

As for the SEO audience, so the UK manager of Google said to Lord Sugar if he didn't take him, Google would. Really? Based on what, a sales pitch about an SEO agency? My view of Google slides ever lower....

Best of luck to Mark, but I think Lord Sugar backed the wrong horse and should have gone with tights

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

dont mean to cause offence to seo people but it did seem a pretty boring business to get into. what happened to the first winner of the new format, wasnt he an inventor? did he ever invent anything ? Maybe time for last orders sir alan 10 years is long enough

Shakester

I agree Tom/Steve.  At the end of the day if you're good at sales you will always do well.  I'm sure the agency will do well enough because if you've got good salesman they will always do well - regardless of the product.

At the end of the day it is an entertainment show with a tiny bit of business nouse thrown in.

dont mean to cause offence to seo people but it did seem a pretty boring business to get into. what happened to the first winner of the new format, wasnt he an inventor? did he ever invent anything ? Maybe time for last orders sir alan 10 years is long enough”

..and yes, he's still around Inventor Tom was sitting next to Nick Hewer in the audience of the show.

This Thread is now closed for comments