Should the Archbishop tell firms to pay their taxes?

By : Administrator
Published 4th February 2015 |
Read latest comment - 9th February 2015

Why is the Archbishop of Canterbury getting involved in debates about business?

Archbishop Justin Welby tells firms - pay your taxes - BBC News

The Archbishop insisted he is not "anti-business", saying that on a recent visit to Coventry he saw how a revitalised car industry had created jobs and local wealth.

"Business is important, we need to affirm the significance of those who generate and create wealth," he said.

It seems an odd time to embark on sermons and public debate about commercial business concerns as we ramp up for a general election and with all the spin doctoring going on from various parties.

Does he really want to be seen dragging the church into political debates, or be seen to, even if its mistaken?

Just seems a bit odd to me 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Nope. Simple answer.

Longer rant: 

We are a Christian country. That is our foundation of faith within the UK, even if we hold other beliefs, or no belief at all, it is Christianity that has had to bare the brunt of acceptance of minority faiths, so much so, that the traditional Christian Churches of old have collapsed throughout the country (Check your local chapels and churches, most have gone).

It is right and proper that all beliefs should be respected, even defended, and I gladly have done both, and will continue to do so in the interest of Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Expression, and the Freedom to follow whichever Faith you choose. 3 of our Human rights.

The Christian leadership in the UK has been weak, and the result is beyond the pale. It has seen Church membership dwindle, with people favouring other distractions, and, in my opinion, that lack of faith for many, with the switch from God to Jeremy Kyle is at best symbolic of the ever diminishing clear thinking of society, and at worst, a huge contributory factor to the non stop collapse of the UK which will one day result in society imploding.

So...

If the people won't listen to you about God - If society regularly commits sin against the law of Moses (Ten commandments stuff), They won't listen to you about the sacrifice made on the cross for the absolution of sin (The atonement), the Resurrection, The promises of life eternal, and how to incorporate living a Christian lifestyle, filled with the Joy of faith, WHY would anyone listen to you about paying taxes.

I don't lecture the local butcher on  how to cut meat. No. My expertise is elsewhere.

Likewise, unless the Honourable Gentleman assigned from God is passing a direct message of revelation from his boss about paying taxes, then he should remain firmly seated in Scripture - and I fully take on board that taxes are mentioned in the Bible - and indeed JC's buddy Matthew (The apostle and evangelist) was a Tax Collector, when he was called. But I do feel he should perhaps aim his focus on other more pressing matters instead of making any comment about business. The problems in the UK are not from Business people failing to pay tax.

This said, it is only a clip from an interview, and its important to holistically view everything an individual says. For all I know without researching it, the Archbishop could have been speaking for several hours on several topics, and the press decided to go to screen with 3 mins of conversation. There is often little balance or fairness in media.

Anyways, Disclaimer:
Please don't be offended with my rugged Christian talk above, it is not my intention to cause offence or hurt, my opinions are my own as a Christian, and these do not reflect in any way, shape or form on the opinions or practices of the company. If you want to complain please do so below, all complaint will be replied to in a public forum etc etc etc

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...

As quotes go, does it get much better than that? ..from God to Jeremy Kyle 

It has seen Church membership dwindle, with people favouring other distractions, and, in my opinion, that lack of faith for many, with the switch from God to Jeremy Kyle is at best symbolic of the ever diminishing clear thinking of society, and at worst, a huge contributory factor to the non stop collapse of the UK which will one day result in society imploding.”

Disclaimer, if Gods not happy he might send a plague of locusts through Wales, if Jeremy Kyles not happy he might invite you on his show  

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Mate, End of times is already here... You just need to walk through Tesco at 3 AM to prove that!

Jeremy Kyle... Oh my days, where do I start...

I noticed a local article about a woman from my home town on the show, after having 90 boyfriends, all from different prisons... Thought I could do with a laugh, looked it up online, it was my cousin!!!

It was then I started to plan to leave the island...

"Should the Archbishop tell firms to pay their taxes?" 

Of course he should.  The Archbishop is duty bound to remind us all of the key parts of Biblical teaching - which in this case is Jesus's teaching to "love thy neighbour as thyself".  You can't "love thy neighbour as thyself" while depriving him / her of the money necessary to pay for the NHS, Education, Police, Social Care and all the rest of it.

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

Am in 2 minds about this and agree with both yes and no .... for reasons already stated.

But perhaps it is the person who should decide like he has.. I do agree though that companies should start paying their taxes as with all things failing here it needs all the help it can get 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

The issue from a Church perspective is one of alienation. Although Christianity attributes all sin as evil, and equal in the eyes of God, in society, it is very different. So, some offences which are viewed as victimless carry less public condemnation than offences which have a vulnerable victim, such as an old person, or a child.

To that end, in the UK, where most businesses are above board and legit, if I were a religious leader, I would perhaps focus more on the real issues within society, and not be drawn into anything that could stray from that path.

The very first laws were the 10 commandments:

1) You shall have no other gods before Me.

There are people who have multiple Gods to this day.

2)You shall not make idols.

There a Christians who worship Idols (i.e Maria, or even the Cross)

3)You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.

Blasphemy is an hourly thing in my office. I am guilty of it.

4)Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Sunday Shopping is the norm.

5)Honour thy Mother and Father.

Society in some levels has developed where there is nothing to honour

6) You shall not murder.

Self explanatory

7)You shall not commit adultery.

Apart from Friday and Saturday nights after getting sloshed in the club?

8)You shall not steal.

Theft is rife.

9)You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.

False accusations are through the roof in legal courts, and for blame claims. 

10)You shall not covet.

Self explanatory.

I don't mean any offence at all, and my Scriptural views, and theological knowledge may not even be my own personal views or opinions, but you mix the breach of all 10 commandments within society, add it to the dwindling church numbers, and the blatant collapse of Churches following Apostle scribed commands, then a Church leader commenting on business matters is like a car driver pressing the brake pedal after the cars slid off the road upside down.

If business tax is of a concern, then the agencies employed to enforce the collection of revenue should develop more morale fibre and go after the likes of Tesco and the huge corporations that have been allowed to decimate our town centre economy. Legislation should be changed to cease outside holdings to avoid taxation on a para-fraudulent, economy impacting level.

Urgh... it's like me as a First Aider going to the Morgue to 'See if there's anything I can do'.

I'd have more respect hearing business advice coming from Walt Disney although thinking about it it's hard to tell the difference both being in the fairy story business 

Shakester

I'm sure Walt Disney would have some great business advice.

It is very easy to tell the difference between a fairy tale from Disney, and someone's very real, and personal faith in a God, or twig, or whatever it is they choose to worship. 

I am very cautious to use the words 'In my opinion' when I say anything that is opinionated, so to try at least to avoid offence in matters which may have a very deep meaning to them.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to reconsider your sentence a little without infringing on your own beliefs and freedom of expression ;-)

On thing that irritates me beyond reason is the pretence that religion doesn't have social consequences.  If religion's worth anything at all, it always will have ... and the hallmark of a genuinely "right minded" religion is that those consequences will be benign for other people and for society as a whole.

I'm Quaker.  I'm proud Quakers were the first to take action against the slave trade and capital punishment.  I'm proud they set up social housing, the National Trust and Oxfam.  I'm even more proud that today's Quakers work hard to protect the disadvantaged, vulnerable and poor and that individual Quakers are still ready to risk imprisonment and fines for principled, non-violent protests against nuclear weapons and government policies they believe to be evil.  

Faith groups should try to build a better world for everyone.  I'm glad this Archbishop and the Pope are using their influence (inside and outside their congregations) to encourage politicians and others to think and act ethically.

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

This Thread is now closed for comments