Why do celebs go all political?

By : Administrator
Published 10th April 2015 |
Read latest comment - 7th May 2015

Is it me or do you think celebs should keep their views private.

We've had the hobbit endorsing Labour party broadcasts, and now Baroness Brady has become a Tory small business spokesperson, trying to persuade owners that a Labour government isn't up to the job.

When you are in the public eye, isn't it a bit of a dangerous strategy?

Over the years we've had Bono, Sting and Geldoff banging on about one thing or another, but getting directly involved in politics seems a step too far.

Remember Andy Murray and his support for the Scottish Yes campaign, which he then downplayed.

If you are a rockstar, sports person, actor or TV celeb, can't you just stick to what you are good at and leave the politics to the politicians and the pub.

Or are you all for celeb endorsement? Does a particular well known person reinforce or win you over to a view or political party?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Oh so true , I do wish they would stick to things they can do , you don't see politicians harping on about their tactics in sport .. I do so hate this time of year ,it would be so much better if every one was more positive about our government instead of slagging them off , tbh this coalition has not done bad at all and sometimes hope they will stay in power ... The only way change can really take place is if they change the way the country is governed and replace it with a President and none of this junk that goes on in parliament  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Its just simple product endorsement, lucrative for the celebrity and a lot of people like to feel reassured seeing a familiar face. Just like seeing a famous face selling car insurance, you know they don't work for the insurance firm, but its a proven concept.

Few people sit and analyse manifestos, so voting decisions are made on sound bites, celebrity endorsements and peer pressure.  

Angela
My views & opinions are my own

Well this one seems to have back fired!

Karen Brady apparently encouraged small business owners to sign a 5000 strong letter of support, published by the Telegraph, which it seems was full of dupes and originated from Tory HQ.

This has led to a social media backlash, with one business demanding to be taken off the list as they never signed it!

At least they got a good social media boost out of it and plenty of Newspaper coverage

Steve Richardson

Are the politicians paying them?

Thanks,
tsubibo

Are the politicians paying them?”

Now there's a controversial statement, couldn't possibly comment 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments