Now It's Not So Good To Be Green

By : Forum Member
Published 5th June 2015 |
Read latest comment - 21st June 2015

The EU has now ruled that the 5% VAT charged to homeowners for installing renewables is illegal and must now be set to the standard rate of 20%. EU ruling This will have a negative effect on anyone considering solar panels, solar voltaic panels, ground source heat pumps, air to air heat pumps, air to water heat pumps, loft insulation or those considering having a windmill in the back garden probably just a matter of time before there is a challenge to the 5% on fuel bills...

Thanks,
Barney
Comments

Wow, that is a big shame! I am a big supporter of renewable energy having studied climate change. Although it certainly isn't a cut and dried scenario, using natural resources that are infinite is clearly common sense. Well, not infinite, but as good as. 

We want solar panels for our Mazda Bongo, looks like the prices might go up then? 

Well that's just yet another reason to get out of the EU ... It seems like they do it on purpose and always go the opposite to the logical response

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

... Or how about us just telling the EU we think they've made the wrong decision on this ?

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

lol .. I'm all for green myself and would love a turbine or turbines on my roof 1 day as the wind here never stops day or night  .. Looked into solar panels too but there seems to be such a taboo over them and it's hard to sell your house if you have them .... I still don't understand why all new building don't have them automatically fitted

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

"I still don't understand why all new building don't have them automatically fitted"

Agree - new homes and public sector new build certainly should have solar panels fitted (with storage batteries) as standard AND there should be a small but sufficient incentive for private sector businesses to do the same.  

We're already experiencing climate change that's difficult to manage; and we've only got about 20 years before we reach the estimated tipping point when nobody knows whether we'll be able to rescue our world.  Twenty years is a ridiculously short amount of time in which to bring about world change, particularly as most current trends (eg increasing industrialisation and energy use) will lead to even more climate change.  

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

Well that's just yet another reason to get out of the EU ... It seems like they do it on purpose and always go the opposite to the logical response”

If you say so Mr Farage 

Did they say anything why was it illegal?

Thanks,
tsubibo

On new build properties the vat rate is zero rated on having renewables installed (though not on the labour costs, that's still charged @ 20%) likewise if you needed scaffolding to put panels on the roof, the scaffolding is still charged @ 20% in other words only the actual supplied part is zero rated. On existing buildings the rate charged is 5%. I've just noticed from the HMRC vat notice that thermostatic radiator valves, room thermostats and electronic programmers come under the 5% rate, so I'm guessing that the majority of homeowners up and down the country are being overcharged for having these installed, as both consumers and suppliers/installers are unaware of the correct vat rate and are simply paying/charging the standard 20% rate.

One programmer I install costs the consumer £150.00 + vat @ 5% = £157.50 @ 20% = £180.00 a difference of £22.50.......... I'm not benefiting or at least I don't think I am as I cannot quite get my head around it all but the HMRC certainly is....

Thanks,
Barney

Barney (and anyone else technically minded Who Knows) - what's happening plse on the battery front (development of affordable batteries for home storage of electricity generated from solar panels)?  Clearly, if we could store and use after dark the electricity generated from solar panels then we wouldn't need to build (as many?) new power stations and might be able to avoid building nuclear ones.    

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

This Thread is now closed for comments