Oh what a night....

By Barney : Forum Member
Published 17th June 2015 | Last comment 21st November 2015
Comments

Come on Barney we need an update, this is edge of the seat stuff

Thanks,
LatexLace

Unbelievable suspense! We're all on tenterhooks here!

look forward to the story

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Ok, just going back a bit, on my visit to the police station the second time I sent him a text message stating that if he did not show up at 10am (which was at his request not mine) I would counter charge him £45.00 plus vat for every hour that the van was not available. He then refused to turn up and demanded I pay him £475.00 via bacs, no receipt or anything to say what work had been carried out. The police advised against paying him. 

4pm the same day the police call, said they were changing it from a criminal investigation to a civil and that I was on my Jack todd and I would have to deal with it myself. Not too pleased with this cop out from them I eventually found myself forced into a corner, so reluctantly paid, still not knowing where the van was or where this character lived. At 9pm that evening the guy sends a text saying he'll text me the following day where the van is. The following day arrives and the text comes, which is just a post code!! Saying he left the key in the ignition. So of we go and pick the van up, the panels covering the clutch mechanism were just left scattered around on the floor, screws were embedded into the tyres so had 4 flat tyres so even at this the police seem to think that I cannot prove anything criminal has taken place. So in total I have paid out around just over £1000.00 on a job plus 2 days lost earnings on a job that was originally quoted as £375.00 and should have taken no longer than one day to complete.

What this guy doesn't realise is, is that everyone in the UK is traceable, although there was some talk a few years back about the introduction of identity cards which was later squashed, there was never any real need for them as everyone (unless an illegal immigrant) leaves or has a trace and it will lead you to where they reside. You will not get this information from any UK public body as it would be in breach of their human rights to privacy blah blah blah. But there are plenty of search agencies on line that can provide all the information you need to trace someone. It took me 30 minutes yesterday morning, to get all the information I needed to know exactly where this guy lives and where his garage is. Either today or tomorrow I will start a county court claim. I will try and do a review on Yell.com but not sure as to whether they accept bad reviews or only the good ones. I may also even give him his own dedicated web page...... I may, if my evil streak kicks in wait several months for the dust to settle before getting some 'friends' to call him out on the pretense of repairing their car (he'll be none the wiser how the job originated) ..... who knows 

Thanks,
Barney

It's shocking Barney, shame it's not a happy ending!  

Don't let it take too much more of your time though, sometime it's just not worth it.

Oh my , I am shocked that the police wont take it further , 4 flat tyres is vandalism at it's best and leaving teh keys in the ignition is a utter disgrace 

Not sure what I would do but definitely do the county court claim and try write some bad reviews and name and shame him as best you can.

Not that it would ever happen to me ,but I know my car will always be found as it has a built in tracker   ,which means I can't bunk off at home like I used to when there was no work

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

With the police you have to kick up a fuss and complain higher. They will always try and fob you off.

indizine
indizine

This is disgusting! Surely there's more they can do? I can't believe it and it leaves me pretty disillusioned about the police. They are vastly overworked I know but even so...this seems blatant as they were involved from the beginning virtually! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I feel really bad for you.

speechless!

Mrb is obviously right, you shouldn't let this take too much of your time and should move on, putting down to life, regardless how frustrating.

But I wouldn't be able to leave it there and would be harbouring all sorts of schemes, no doubt it would be the wife who would finally knock some sense into me. I'd definitely try with a County Court Claim. I'm assuming this cowboy won't be a member of any professional organisations, so it limits the practical solutions.

Very frustrating reaction from your local Police. Worth trying to get some media spin for it from your local press? It's a great/shocking story that will resonate with a lot of people, if nothing else you could get yourself some free marketing.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I have to agree with indizine on this one, you have to push plod to do something

Thanks,
LatexLace

This Thread is now closed for comments