forum avatar

Hire car hassle

By
Published 12th June 2010 |
Read latest comment - 14th June 2010

can anyone help.
Im getting married in manchester next year and for our honeymoon we want to hire a left hand drive car in england and drive back home to southern spain over a two week period avoiding motorways at all times staying in little villages and hamlets, anyway i cant find any hire companies that will help.
any thoughts ?
Comments
Cant see you being able to get hold of a left hooker from a major UK rental agency.

Should be no probs getting a one way hire from UK to Spain, can you not make do with a right hand drive?

Did a quick google, you spoken to these guys?
5th Gear

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Congratulations!

The only other things I can think of are:

1. Use a UK hire company (RH drive) for the few days of the UK section, from Manchester as far as the ferry/airport/eurostar.

Cross the water as foot passengers, or if you've got a lot of luggage and are going by ferry/tunnel, get a friend to take you over in their car.

Then pick up a continental hire car (LH drive) on the other side.

2. Buy a cheap second-hand LH drive car on the continent before coming to Manchester. Bring it over by the most direct route before the wedding, then start your honeymoon drive in it. It should last well into Europe... if it survives all the way back to Spain, you have a lovely souvenir, if it conks out, you hire a continental LH drive car at that point.

I should probably declare that I don't drive and I haven't travelled outside the UK since I was a teenager, so this is not exactly an informed opinion.

VirtuallyMary

This Thread is now closed for comments