Are you a phone-a-phobe?

By : Forum Moderator
Published 28th February 2019 |
Read latest comment - 2nd March 2019

We are addicted to emails. It is just so easy, on your phone, instantly you can reply and it’s ticked off the to do list….or is it?

You don’t know if the person has received it let alone read it, okay so you can add a read receipt, but when will they reply? Are they thinking about your proposal? It’s too much so they are ignoring it, or they have been distracted and won’t reply…who knows! The wait for the reply before you can action what needs to be done continues.

So, why don’t we just pick up the phone!? When someone sends a message to enquire, why not ask if you can call them back and discuss it? You will save a possible lengthy text or email discussion and you will establish if they are a viable client or not much faster.

How many times have you misread the tone in a text or email? It is easy to do and to avoid it we tend to keep work emails more professional in general. Whereas on a phone call you can be much more yourself and get to know a potential client a bit better, building up a rapport. People buy people and if you get on you are much more likely to make a sale.

Phone calls give you a better chance to sell yourself in a more organic way as well, if you type a list of benefits or start listing the skills you have on an email, it may come across badly. On the phone you can chat and drop in experience or ideas you have about their business, whatever is relevant in your sector, and give someone a much better idea of what you are about.

I often forget the power of a call, and as my background is telesales and debt collection by phone, you would think I would be the first one to dial a number! I am now reminding myself to do it more often, and the results are already showing it is working.

So, stop emailing everyone all the time, put the phone to your ear and connect, you won’t regret it.

Comments

um , I am always in trouble at work as I always always either leave my phone in the van or never answer it.

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

um , I am always in trouble at work as I always always either leave my phone in the van or never answer it.”

Haha oh dear! Maybe you need to change your ways Andy.

I know , but I just don't take it to be that important

But talking of telephones .When we visited my Aunty in New Zealand I did notice and asked why they didn't have a line telephone, apparently it's quite common over there as everyone has a mobile , so it did get me thinking do we really need them either as we only have 3 or 4 people who actually phone us on it. I do actually need to phone BT one day to find out if we actually can have the phone removed 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

We have one as it's cheaper to have it than not with Virgin bizarrely, but we don't have a phone connected to it. No-one uses it at all. Totally defunct. 

This Thread is now closed for comments