forum avatar

Whats the best way to start my business?

By
Published 19th November 2009 |
Read latest comment - 5th March 2010

May sound kind of dumb question, but I've been doing some private work and really getting into search engine stuff, and looking at maybe doing this full time.

But waht are my options, do I have to set myself up as an LLC, or is there an easier way to go? I'm guessing I would need to get an attourney to do the paperwork, and it gonna be expensive?

Or do I just keep doing what Im doing fulltime, and work on this in the background until the money starts to come in?
Comments
forum avatarKip FX Design
19th November 2009 1:52 PM
What is it you are doing in the background Greg?

What business do you want to start up?

forum avatarGreg
19th November 2009 3:26 PM
sorry should have been clearer.

Im kind of the one man tech dept, from PC support to analytics. Don't get me wrong, its great and have learnt loads, but Im doing more of these outside jobs doing searchengine optiziation stuff, that I reckon it would be nice to go for it and set up on my own. maybe do some web stuff as well.

Just lots of ideas at the moment, nothing concrete, but not sure what the process is so just want to get as much info as I can.

Hi Greg

I think this should help you out. Its a Govt Business site, link to it at the bottom. Gives you an official breakdown of the legal options.

Business Incorporation

When beginning a business, you must decide what form of business entity to establish. Your form of business determines the amount of regulatory paperwork you have to file, your personal liability regarding investments into your business, and the taxes you have to pay. The most common business structures include:
  • Sole Proprietorship - A business owned and managed by one individual who is personally liable for all business debts and obligations.
  • Partnership - Two or more people share ownership of a single business.
  • Corporation - A legal entity owned by shareholders.
  • S Corporation - A special type of corporation created through a tax election. An eligible domestic corporation can avoid double taxation (once to the shareholders and again to the corporation) by electing to be treated as an S corporation.
  • Limited Liability Company (LLC) - A relatively new, hybrid-type of legal structure that provides the limited liability features of a corporation and the tax efficiencies and operational flexibility of a partnership
  • Non-Profit - An organization engaged in activities of public or private interest that are not motivated by making a profit. Some non-profits are exempt from paying federal taxes.
  • Cooperative - A business or organization owned by and operated for the benefit of those using its services. Cooperatives are not a legal structure.
Business Incorporation | Business.gov

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarbiz-angel
19th November 2009 4:05 PM
another good resource for you is the US Small Business Administration
http://www.sba.gov/index.html

forum avatarGreg
19th November 2009 4:13 PM
wow thanks guys! I have some reading to do

20th November 2009 10:24 AM
Ability comes down to this one as well Greg, can you offer something that others cannot?

Is it a saturated market?

How will you compete?

Have you got a back up fund to keep it afloat in the early days?

Answer these in a good way, and I say Go Go Go!

forum avatarjaymathur09
30th November 2009 9:24 AM
Some of the keys to start a business - Lots of hard work, building strong relationships with clients, and delivering high-quality Web solutions to clients that enable them to take their business to the next level. Making a business plan is the first and most important thing that should be done. Use of appropriate management tools is also essential for gaining profit. Subscribe to the website of FINTEL to know more on this topic.

30th November 2009 9:29 AM
With such an emphasis on Fintel, I would go to blatant plugs and tell us a little about yourself Jay, and what Fintel offers, I know I am interested

Another SEO Geek on the forum Whoopppiee

Thanks,
Kevin.Wiles

This Thread is now closed for comments