Finishing school for Indian IT graduates

By : Administrator
Published 8th March 2010 |
Read latest comment - 8th March 2010

Stavros pinged this to me, and I just had to post it

From the BBC:

In a classroom in the southern Indian city of Mysore, several dozen young men and women listen rapt to their lecturer, Chhaya Srivatsa.

"If someone is crying, don't keep pestering them to know the reason," she says.

"If someone has got grey hair or wrinkles, don't go asking them about it. It's not the done thing," she adds.

"IST (Indian Standard Time) is not Indian Stretchable Time. If you have no respect for your own time, at least have respect for other people's time," she counsels.

Next, she tells them how to dress on the job, how to speak to the boss and how to avoid slang when writing business e-mails.

The students here are all engineering graduates and their school, set up two years ago, Raman International Institute of Information Technology (RiiiT), is a finishing school for information technology (IT) professionals - some of whom are considered to lack the social skills which could help them get a job.

Ms Srivatsa is teaching them workplace etiquette.

...The IT and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) industry employs more than 2 million people, and tens of thousands of new recruits are added every year. But those who hire talk of a talent crunch.

Mr Karnik blames the Indian education system.

"These students have been through an education system which emphasises rote learning, they are not taught to think and speak, so the system churns out enough numbers, but not enough suitable candidates."

Full article:
BBC News - Finishing school for Indian IT graduates

Imagine the UK version.

Every 30 minutes, it's time for a tea break, at 17.00 on the dot, it's time to go home, and if you're not sure how to fix something, just turn everything off and back on again

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
forum avatarKip FX Design
8th March 2010 3:35 PM
Who finishes at 5pm lol! Ahh those were the days, when you could drop and run!

This Thread is now closed for comments