Welcome to the Shop... You'll never Leave...

By : Business Owner
Published 20th November 2014 |
Read latest comment - 20th November 2014

One of my businesses is in retail.

When we first opened, I was literally there 24/7 as we built the revenue to grow, and eventually get more staff.

My first member of staff was a young 18 year old who was at college at the time, and putting in part time hours. 3 days out of 7 I had company, the other 4, I would be fending for myself. 

Customers come in waves I find, and there are reasonably predictable busy times, this means that occasionally I can close shop for 5 mins to run to the bank to make deposits, or go out to grab a pasty etc.

Not long after we opened the second floor to the shop, and had CCTV fitted, and a nice new shop front, we noticed a change in trend, where more stragglers as I call them came in. This was beyond the normal flow, and generated quite a bit of impulse buys. The top floor was really popular, and with the CCTV there were hardly any blind spots for shoplifters to have their evil ways.

One time, there was a total lull in the battle, straight after a mad rush of clients, and I was itching to go and deposit a tonne of money into the bank, so I could then spend it all on bills (We all know that lovely feeling). As the last customer left, I thought 'winner', quickly locked the door, ran upstairs to use the loo, ran downstairs, opened the door, exited, locking it behind me, and sprinted up the high street.

I got back literally 15 minutes later to find the front door to the shop smashed, all glass outwards, and my neighbouring business people all standing around guarding the premises for me.

I was told, they heard a smash, and saw someone running up the street.

Really incensed by all this, I reviewed the CCTV.

As it appears, I locked someone IN the shop.... 

What's nuts is I ran past them, had a dump in the bog (Did I mention I left the door open to the toilet?), flushed, ran past them again, then sealed them in.

I swear, I didn't notice them (My excuse is all down to the Manikins in store)... and I totally understand why someone would smash a door in this situation to get out!

We now have a much better means of escape for anyone trapped, and fully comply with fire regulations before anyone says it.... and of course, a new door....

And yes... all new staff get the story about what the boss did.... and no, you can't have the Youtube link to the video!

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...
Comments
I swear, I didn't notice them (My excuse is all down to the Manikins in store)... and I totally understand why someone would smash a door in this situation to get out!

We now have a much better means of escape for anyone trapped, and fully comply with fire regulations before anyone says it.... and of course, a new door....”

Fantastic  I love stories like this, puts a human face on business and makes you realise you're not the only one who learns the hard way!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments