Dragons' Den tax rift escalates

By : Entrepreneur
Published 16th April 2010 |
Read latest comment - 16th April 2010

Dragons' Den entrepreneurs James Caan and Duncan Bannatyne have entered a war of words over Caan's UK tax status.

Full Article:
BBC News - Dragons' Den tax rift escalates

Stavros
Comments
Oh dear

Interesting point though, if James has offshore interests, but doesn't bring that money into the country, why should he pay UK tax on it? If its revenue made in Pakistan, I would have thought he would have paid some form of tax over there?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I read Duncan Bannatyne book sometime ago and I am sure he mentioned delaying some payments to get a tax break on a deal.

I have no problem with people who bend the rules, if I was in there position I would try and pay as little as poss on the tax front.

tomsk

I definitely can't imagine that Mr Bannatyne would have got to where he is today by giving away more money than he absolutely had to in tax.

Giving it away for products, sure, giving it away for charity and the attendant positive publicity, absolutely, but giving it away to HMRC? Either pull the other one or fire the accountant.

VirtuallyMary

...but giving it away to HMRC? Either pull the other one or fire the accountant.

shhhhh.... they have spies everywhere....... before you know it, your office will look like the Iranian Embassy seige with balaclava hooded revenue men looking for your petty cash tin...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Oh, they will get every last penny to which they are entitled.

But I'm not going to be doing my tax return and saying "you know what? I'm not going to claim any business mileage or other Allowable Expenses, because I want to pay more tax!"

VirtuallyMary

This Thread is now closed for comments