Cold Call Clampdown - hurrah!

By : Administrator
Published 25th February 2015 |
Read latest comment - 1st March 2015

The beeb is reporting that the government is going to clamp down on cold call companies and those annoying scam artists who send relentless PPI calls and texts, or ambulance chasers who regularly keep telling me I can claim £5k for an accident I never had!

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) has always felt like a toothless agency, as it has been traditionally very hard and long winded to make a complaint.

From April this year, it will be much easier to make a complaint and larger fines of up to £500,000 can be imposed which makes it a bit more of a deterrent!

"The Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) said it was "committed" to dealing with the problem of nuisance calls, and that it was looking to introduce mandatory caller line identification so that all marketing callers would have to display their telephone numbers.

It also confirmed that it will look at introducing measures to hold board level executives responsible for nuisance calls and texts."

BBC News - Clampdown on cold call companies

The Government department name made me smile, The Department of Culture, Media and Sport. It does sound a bit Monty Python'ish...

So good news, pre election propaganda, or too little too late?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

"So good news, pre election propaganda, or too little too late?"

Welcome at any time.

A lot of the companies seem to be from outside the UK though.  How could they be prosecuted?

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

Too little too late!  Definitely a step in the right direction  but looks like the onus is still on the person receiving the calls to make a complaint.. would be better to just ban a specified amount of cold calls per week/month (in my opinion).

LawSpark
Post free job ads for UK Lawyers and get Quotes

I cannot even begin to describe the effect cold calling can have on businesses!

I think I've mentioned before that many businesses, when they get new premises - or just start up - get literally hundreds of calls trying to scam what little money they have out of them (The electrical meter check one is the worst - from companies that arrange supplier changes by pretending they're from "The" supplier).

I received a call last sunday, at home, at exactly 8 AM. Sunday is the only day I sleep in - my alarm is off. Often I still wake up at 5 AM due to my body clock, but, it's the day that if I need to sleep till 10 - I can. But Nope. I had some guy asking me if I wanted my gutters cleaning - woke me up. 

I'm TPS etc etc, and his number was withheld. It's the bane of having a landline.

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...

This Thread is now closed for comments