CPC's

By : Business Owner
Published 12th August 2016 |
Read latest comment - 18th August 2016

Are they worth it ..

I joined a shopping site recently with CPC and today was my first day... almost 900 page views ,no sales and £20ish pound down the tubes..So to me it is just not worth it. Oh I did make a sale today but it was with good old Google shopping .

So are these cpc sites worth it and do they pay off in the long run,as after my first day I can't afford to spend £20 a day .. I had to stop it at 5pm otherwise who knows how much it would end up at ... 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World
Comments

You mean pay for per click (PPC) advertising in general?

We use Google PPC, have done for years and it works well for us. Tried Bing PPC, but although cheap, we could never use our budget.

Facebook is a tricky one and use it push more content marketing than direct sales, which seems to work.

What I found with PPC or CPC (cost per click) marketing was it takes a while to find your feet. On the google side you need to research keywords and until you have any account history, it's hard to tune and then fine tune your campaign. So that means having a decent budget and taking a long game approach.

Or is this just a site that allows you to be bumped up on their own pages, like a sponsor type listing? If so,never done that 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I know PPC ,but mine says "Cost Per Click" ...

Final total was £27 for the day and no sales though them ..How can that be any good to anyone.Needless to say I have stopped it.. I was only trying twenga out to try and get more sales but you end up with multiple clicks possible from the same person who is click happy and am not happy with that 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Hi Steve / Andy

My experience with Adwords did not work at all for what I wanted ( Selling software ).  

My budget went down rapidly with few if any sales. 

Some businesses do well with PPC forms of advertising, but it seems to depend on

• your target location
  • the targetted keyphrase
  • targetted product / service offered
  • how saturated the market is for the product
  • how well crafted your headline is
  • how well crafted your ad is

Click fraud is difficult to prove and eats your budget quickly when targetting highly contentious keyphrases.

SEO ( Search Engine Optimisation) is more balanced, though this to can be a minefield with defacto standards imposed by some search engines, followed by the myriad of attempts by 3rd parties to circumvent the changes ( sometimes successfully though shortlived).  

Thank you
Prometheus1618

That the problem with twenga it doesn't really go by keyword as such ...Well it does in a way,but say if someone searches for kettles it will bring up every kettle it can so if you have 20 for sale that's 20 clicks .. That's why I like google it is more refined and only goes by your keyword/s

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

That the problem with twenga it doesn't really go by keyword as such ...”

Not come across Twenga, so just had a quick look and see what you mean. It's pretty clever really, get the people who populate your site with content to pay for the privilege of showing at the top.

Can't imagine doing that  <slopes off quietly...>

Google is the grand daddy of PPC and although it's not as profitable as it was (because they dumped half the sponsor ads off the search results) it still generates a decent return.

But Prometheus raises some good points and it can depend on types of service and product. But I've said it numerous times that it is instant marketing, so you can quickly see if a headline or title isn't working or a campaign needs tweaking. That's one of the reasons I love it, it really is a real time marketing platform.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I still carried on being charged even though I remove their tracking code and remove products from the list ... I managed to find a few free ones I had never heard of before ....

If any of you have heard or know of free comparison sites ,do tell   ..The Find was one of them but they closed down now.Used to get orders from them too

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Hi Andy, Steve

Careful of Free sites. They tend to:

• Sell their data
  • Have relatively  poor security
  • Have privacy issues
  • Have few visitors, because of the above.
  • And other issues

Thank you
Prometheus1618

Hi Are you talking about free advertising sites where they take all your info ..The 1 I found was leguide.com where you upload your products ,pretty much like google shopping but they don't charge you ppc..

If you are, I'll have to do a bit more research in future as I did not know that

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Hi Andy

I used to use free sites a lot during the mid 2000's but toward the end of the decade, I found heaps of spam being received.  

Knowing that this was only ever going to get worse, I adopted a twofold approach. 

• I changed my important email contacts to a new email address
  • I continued using the old email address for only trivial, trial or less important accounts. Doing this meant, if I wanted to I could either forward email I wanted to keep or create a new account in my important email account name.

Further more I could clear out the old email address completely as required ( knowing that all email is of low quality or forwarded to important email address ).

All I can say Andy, is watch your spam email levels and see if this rises rapidly. 

Good luck

Regards

Thank you
Prometheus1618

This Thread is now closed for comments