Speed limiters being introduced in the UK..

By : Forum Moderator
Published 27th March 2019 |
Read latest comment - 1st April 2019

So, according to the article this technology is being brought into some models of new cars already but the green light is for all cars to have it eventually. In reality it can be overridden and you can still speed but the aim is to have mandatory black boxes, so if you were over the limit and you have an accident they will have evidence. 

What do you think?  I have put it in the business section on here as so many of us drive for business and people have vans or lorries than do, although a lot of those already have limiters built in I believe. 

Is it too big brother for you? Or will it save lives? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Comments

Sceptical about it . I can almost guarantee a lot of people will get them removed as soon as they can and will make a profitable business..On a personal note I have no issue with it , as you do sometimes find yourself speeding 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Bought a new transit van last year, everything they’re talking about was an optional extra..... for a fee of course..... What I found annoying, is that a spare wheel is no longer a standard accessory..... just a can of expanding foam..... By the time I paid for a new spare wheel, tools and a Jack...... I was down another £400...

Thanks,
Barney

Bought a new transit van last year, everything they’re talking about was an optional extra..... for a fee of course..... What I found annoying, is that a spare wheel is no longer a standard accessory..... just a can of expanding foam..... By the time I paid for a new spare wheel, tools and a Jack...... I was down another £400...”

That's so ridiculous! Of course you need a spare wheel! 

I’ve spoken to quite a few people about this, apparently it is now common practice for new vehicles, not to have  a spare wheel... I always thought it was part of the mot to have a spare wheel... But then again I always thought the transit was built in the U.K...... Again apparently not.... it’s now Turkey....... Now that’s the EU for you!..... And over 40 years of loyalty to the yanks...( our so called special friends)....

Thanks,
Barney

I’ve spoken to quite a few people about this, apparently it is now common practice for new vehicles, not to have  a spare wheel...

Am a little shocked at that. What the hell do you do if you have a major blow-out where no amount of foam cement will fix your tyre .. I would personally prefer 1 even if the wife can't change it herself  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Just read an article in (This is money) who reported that the (What Car) magazine reported, only 8% of new vehicles now come with a full size new wheel. Vehicles are now supplied with either a smaller size spare wheel or foam.... Bit of a joke really, as my handbook says should I use the foam, the maximum speed I can go is 50mph and a maximum distance is 70 miles..... Not much cop if it happens after 5pm and all the tyre shops are closed..... And you’re travelling from Hastings to Glasgow...... However in Ford’s favour, they have provided me with a lamp on my dashboard, that glows when the temperature drops below 5 degrees outside... comes in very handy..... though I could just unwind the window and stick my head outside to know if it’s cold......

Thanks,
Barney

Thanks the exact problem, if it's daytime and you get a new tyre and the foam gets you to tyre place then great but if it's late or a weekend and nowhere is opened you're screwed. It's really shortsighted. Anything to save money I guess.

This Thread is now closed for comments