When your home is your office

By : Entrepreneur
Published 29th September 2010 |
Read latest comment - 10th April 2013

Just got this emailed to me and found it of use so I thought I would share it out.


I have worked from my home for over 4 years now, and unlike some people, I find it incredibly easy. However, I frequently get asked by people new to self-employment, or by my employed friends who have the opportunity to work from home occasionally, how I do it. So, I decided to give it some thought. If you are struggling to adjust to working from home, maybe following my recipe for success will help

Full Article:
When your home is your office

Stavros
Comments
forum avatarGuest
30th September 2010 9:30 AM
Good article!

I don't find it hard to discipline myself or motivate myself working from home.

Unfortunately though, my family and friends think that because I am at home it's fine to call in for a cuppa and chat or a chat on the phone!

But eureka! I have solved this ( I think)! I move my car away from the house and they think I am out and I let the house line-land be picked up by the answer machine and if it's important I call them back. Sneaky but it works

forum avatarConrad
4th October 2010 12:11 PM
Great advice, I always find a good lock on the office door keeps the rest of the family at arms length

forum avatarFiloro
8th October 2010 11:39 PM
I have worked for 5 years from home - selling online. It was less overheads and I could work in my own time but once we got bigger we had to move out as my business was taking over my whole house ! I find I am more disciplined and when I come home I can leave my work at my workplace ( my shop).

forum avatarYouMyWorld
31st January 2011 9:57 AM
I found i t great working from home, you have more time to spend doing your job and of course your family...

forum avatarmark henry
7th February 2011 4:40 AM
Good one i also have been working from home by taking freelance small projects which were easier to be done from home.

forum avatarhillary
1st December 2011 8:26 AM
Great blog, thanks for sharing this and some of your tips I will need these tips someday. When I start my carrier as a freelancer doing web design. Just for now I'm dedicated to learn graphics design.

forum avatarBluefinNW
2nd December 2011 8:37 AM
This is a great piece and blog, I work from home and have done so for the last 12 months on an employed basis, I got a little bit bored of the mundane 9-5 desk job and decided to be a 'travelling salesman' as it were. I work in Insurance and I always found that people buy from people, so if your office is 40 miles away all of your clients/prospects wont come to you, so you take your office to them!

I agree with some of the comments above regarding being disciplined. I have only one way of judging myself on whether I am making use of my time properly and that is with my golf handicap. Its 11 at the minute and if it gets to single figures I spend too much time on the golf course...

Hope my boss isnt on this forum!

forum avatarGuest
17th April 2012 3:54 PM
Working from home definitely takes some getting used to; my immediate reaction when I first began was to delve into the dangerous world of daytime tv. Avoid at all costs I say! Now however I've learned to discipline myself, it just takes some practice I think and it's important to find a routine which suits you.

“...the dangerous world of daytime tv. ”

lol, daytime TV would motivate me to work, or drive me to drink

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments