forum avatar

looking for an existing business

By
Published 4th December 2009 |
Read latest comment - 28th January 2010

Is it better to start a business or buy an existing one? I think new businesses have a lot of startup costs. I found this website that allows you to search for businesses that are for sale all around the world. You can also sell your business on the site. The site is BuyABusiness.com Do you think it would be good to look on here and buy one of these businesses that are for sale instead of starting a new one?
Comments
forum avatarIP_
4th December 2009 9:08 PM
Welcome to USABF

Unless you know what you are doing, the pitfalls of buying a business can be far greater than starting one from scratch.

This is often more so if you are buying a small business. While you are gaining the benefits of established trade you are also at risk of paying well over the odds for a load of old rope.

First off Amy, do you understand a 'Profit and loss sheet' ?

Hi Amy welcome to the USABF

There are much better established websites than the one you have found, but your question is such a complex one, that it would be different answers for different people.

It will depend on your current business knowledge, as IP says, basics such as profit and loss accounts.

Budget, this will decide what kind of business you will start or buy. Maybe you want the safety net of a brand, in which case franchising could be an option.

Are you looking at starting up by yourself, or do you have an experianced business partner?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Do you think it would be good to look on here and buy one of these businesses that are for sale instead of starting a new one?

No I don't - but great spam post though Tut Tut

tomsk

No I don't - but great spam post though Tut Tut

yup, and link removed

Steve Richardson

forum avatarmjbrooke
20th January 2010 11:43 AM
I think it's better to start your own business because you might not know how to handle an existing business.

That is true unless if you're planning to try franchising because they will provide training to their franchisee.

forum avatarhgreenb7
27th January 2010 3:42 PM
Amy,

I am a business broker that specializes in selling existing businesses with positive cash flows. I have also been an owner of 3 other businesses that I started from scratch. Unless you have a unique idea for a business that currently doesn't exist I am a strong believer in buying an existing business for a number of reasons.

1. You are mitigating the risk because you will take over a business with an established track record and one that already has customers.
2. You will be buying a business where the furniture, fixtures, and equipment are usually heavily discounted versus buying new.
3. You will have employees already in place.

Even with franchises I recommend buying a franchise resale to reduce your risk.

With any business sale you must due proper due diligence and verify all financial records and other aspects of the operation. In the majority of business sales the owner will stay on for a reasonable transition period.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Howard Greenberg

forum avatarjohnsims
28th January 2010 11:20 AM
Amy,

I am a business broker that specializes in selling existing businesses with positive cash flows. I have also been an owner of 3 other businesses that I started from scratch. Unless you have a unique idea for a business that currently doesn't exist I am a strong believer in buying an existing business for a number of reasons.

Hi Howard, you raise some good points, but you assume that a potential owner has plenty of available capital, to enable them to purchase a business.

There must be a great number of people that wouldn't have access to financial resources, or unwilling to take on debt in order to buy into an established business.

To counter the argument, aren't there a number of potential low cost start up options, maybe car valeting, cleaning, some form of online enterprise etc. I'm not saying your wrong, but not having an immediate source of capital, shouldn't be a deterrent the right minded person to start a business?

John

forum avatarhgreenb7
28th January 2010 1:57 PM
Hi Howard, you raise some good points, but you assume that a potential owner has plenty of available capital, to enable them to purchase a business.

There must be a great number of people that wouldn't have access to financial resources, or unwilling to take on debt in order to buy into an established business.

To counter the argument, aren't there a number of potential low cost start up options, maybe car valeting, cleaning, some form of online enterprise etc. I'm not saying your wrong, but not having an immediate source of capital, shouldn't be a deterrent the right minded person to start a business?

John

If someone has little or no cash to start a business than I would agree with you. When I read Amy's post it didn't sound like she had no capital available. Using your example I would still suggest looking for someone who has started a car valeting, cleaning, etc. business and is looking to get out. Once again they will have a base of clients and a track record (one you can improve upon). In many of these situations you can put a small amount down and pay the seller over time based on continued business with their existing clients. I'm very weary of those on line no capital required business opportunities.

Howard

I'm very weary of those on line no capital required business opportunities.

Amen, the internet is awash with get rich quick rubbish, preying on the vulnerable and gullible.

Great thread, shame Amy decided not to return!

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments