Whats December like for business? Booming or slow?

By : Administrator
Published 8th December 2009 |
Read latest comment - 23rd December 2009

December can be an odd month for Businesses. People are getting ready for Turkey day and Christmas, small businesses may want to keep their spending under control until the New Year.

Online retailers should thrive, but I suspect a lot of service based businesses may suffer, especially in this turbulent year.

So whats your experience so far this December?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
forum avatarKip FX Design
9th December 2009 8:44 AM
I am lucky, this is an extremely good month, people are obviously after Xmas POS, Promotions etc, in fact I had a Dragons Den members Chauffeur singing my praises on twitter yesterday for some decadent promo stuff for his company, and it lead to two more clients in the Chauffeur industry!

I have a client who is in the steel business, who is suffering and twiddling his thumbs, but he views his business as a seasonal one, and used to it, I am currently reprogramming his head, to stop being used to the norm, if all the other Steel companies are thinking this, then its the best time to get 'out there' IMO

As always Duck, I do enjoy reading your posts!! Makes me smile every time

Remember not to post ads on this forum But you can add web links to your signature, so that will count, just go to User Control Panel and edit your signature.

So when you going to sort out your Avatar picture?? Or do you want us to choose one for you

Clive

I have a client who is in the steel business, who is suffering and twiddling his thumbs, but he views his business as a seasonal one, and used to it, I am currently reprogramming his head, to stop being used to the norm, if all the other Steel companies are thinking this, then its the best time to get 'out there' IMO

Glad to hear things are going really well, great news.

Interesting view ref the seasonal business. If you know your business is seasonal, then, as you say get out there and market it, or maybe look at other options, maybe a second seasonal business or revenue stream to take up the slack? Dont really know much about steel though

Maybe very heavy decorations for the xmas tree

Steve Richardson

For me I dont think I have ever been busier WobblyJobs.Com development is at full throttle.
I have been out most days networking and chasing leads for my IT company and I am in the middle of a big migration for a customer who happens to work in the hospitality arena so you can imgaine how busy they are at the moment meaning I can only work on there kit at odd hours.

So I am stacked out.

The next person who says to me that being the boss must be a sweet ride I am going to punch on the end of the nose.

P.S.
I am also undertaking due dilligence on buying an engineering company as well.

FTE's do not know they are born.

But the qustion arises "would I have it any other way"

DEFINATELY NOT.....

Stavros

forum avatarKip FX Design
12th December 2009 2:08 AM
The next person who says to me that being the boss must be a sweet ride I am going to punch on the end of the nose. .....

Its the rules Stavros, you are supposed to get panicy and stressed, Rome was not built in a day, work ya ass off and enjoy your work, if you do not enjoy it now, you will do one day!

forum avatarIP_
13th December 2009 10:10 PM
As we say in Blighty... "it's raining"

December has been an amazing month this year, both our retail stores and our online business has been hitting close to triple digit growth, not seen anything like that in a decade or so....so I am not complaining.

So it looks people are having a pretty good December. Thats great news.

For us, we had a record breaking November, which took us by surprise, but December is starting to slow down, as expected, and tends to pick up again mid January.

So its a good time to get the back office sorted out, computers upgraded, and plan some strategy for the year ahead

Steve Richardson

Thanks for appreciation!But my English is still poor,don't smile the mistakes what I made

Your English is just fine

At last Duck has an Avatar!!

Steve Richardson

forum avatarbwoodsdesign
22nd December 2009 10:21 PM
On the contrary to what others here have said, between Thanksgiving and New Year's here in what I do (web design for small businesses) work gets very S L O W. Practically to a halt.

There are times, however, where it's been a bit different depending on the customer. I have done work for landscape/garden companies and also nurseries/farms in the winter, since, because of the climate, their business is down (or slowed) for the season for the most part anyway. So they use this down time to get ready for the next spring with a new web site or some significant changes.

Also, same thing happens here between Memorial Day in May and when school starts up again in September. Folks 'round here seem to have a "vacation" mindset and are focused on just getting through the week and doing as little as possible, til the weekend rolls around, where here in Minnesota, many people drive up to the cabin, go camping or fishing at the lake, go on summer trips/vacations, etc. Else, they have families with kids who are active in summer stuff like sports, etc.

So I have had a hard time during these slow seasons, at best. Right now I'm trying to develop some solutions for cash flow in these slow periods.

We shall see how it all works out.

Meantime, I'm soooo anxious to get Christmas and New Year's over and letting business pick up again (don't get me wrong though, I love my holidays, especially taking time off with family and friends).

This Thread is now closed for comments