Ex-Dragon damns UK stance on enterprise

By : Administrator
Published 25th January 2010 |
Read latest comment - 26th January 2010

From the Telegraph:

Doug Richard, the entrepreneur and former Dragons' Den panellist who chaired the Conservatives' small business task force, is to call for a complete overhaul of Government support for small and medium-sized enterprises.

In a manifesto for enterprise to be published this week, Mr Richard will say that present Government policies hinder innovation and stifle economic development. He said that the Government's BusinessLink venture, which is supposed to support small and medium-sized enterprises should be dismantled.

"In America if you want to start a new venture, whether it's the next Google or a laundromat, everyone cheers you on, in Britain you enter a Kafkaesque world of bureaucracy," Mr Richard, who is American, said

Full article:
Ex-Dragon damns UK stance on enterprise - Telegraph

I have no idea what a "Kafkaesque" is, but I agree with him 100%!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
I totally agree but here is something that I have thought alot about when you are in a pack of people and the footballl team from a lower division is losing everyone is behind the underdog.
Yet when you start your own business everyone is a critic and they dont associate you as being the underdog.

this only applys in the uk of course in America everyone apart from big business of course wants you to suceed.

Stavros

From the Telegraph:

I have no idea what a "Kafkaesque" is, but I agree with him 100%!

ahh the power of Google & Wikipedia

Full quote here - Kafkaesque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Kafkaesque" is an eponym used to describe concepts, situations, and ideas which are reminiscent of the literary work of Prague writer Franz Kafka, particularly his novels The Trial and The Castle, and the novella The Metamorphosis.

The term, which is quite fluid in definition, has also been described as "marked by a senseless, disorienting, often menacing complexity: Kafkaesque bureaucracies

It can also describe an intentional distortion of reality by powerful but anonymous bureaucrats. "Lack of evidence is treated as a pesky inconvenience, to be circumvented by such Kafkaesque means as depositing unproven allegations into sealed files..." Another definition would be an existentialist state of ever-elusive freedom while existing under unmitigable control.

Hey i sound like what im talking about lol

Clive

I totally agree but here is something that I have thought alot about when you are in a pack of people and the footballl team from a lower division is losing everyone is behind the underdog.
Yet when you start your own business everyone is a critic and they dont associate you as being the underdog.

this only applys in the uk of course in America everyone apart from big business of course wants you to suceed.

Thinking about it, I'm not so sure its just the redtape. Maybe as a population, we are too traditionally conservative, a nation of moaners and talkers, with not enough do'ers and risk takers.

This breeds a conservative middle management that plod along, run our high street banks, and whose opinions are filtered up and piant the picture for the CEO's and board meetings.

America seems to naturally spawn more positive attitudes, "anyone can make it" which may not reflect the reality, but its the positive spirit we seemed to lack, or am I being harsh?

Edit - and Clive has too much time on his hands!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I think you are spot on and yo summarised the point I was trying to make.

I only ever encounter 2 reactions:
1: contempt
2: Its ok for you. your run your own business you must be minted.

I find both infuriating.

Stavros

This Thread is now closed for comments