Cadbury's Bristol plant to close by 2011

By : Entrepreneur
Published 10th February 2010 |
Read latest comment - 10th February 2010

what a sad sad state of affairs. we knew it would happen just not this fast.

Cadbury's new owner, Kraft, says it plans to close the company's Somerdale factory in Keynsham, near Bristol.

Just last week it said it would keep it open. The shutdown would mean the loss of 400 jobs.

Full Article:
BBC News - Cadbury's Bristol plant to close by 2011

Stavros
Comments
why oh why oh why

10 years time, I bet you will next to no Cadburys production in the UK. What a shame, another British stalwart to dispear into history.

Thanks hedgefund shareholders for sellling your souls....

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarjohnsims
10th February 2010 11:49 AM
Big shame, the Unions said this would happen.

I must admit I am gutted not only was it part of the make up of the UK but also a massive part of Birmingham's identity.

Back in the day My grandad used to drive the wagons for cadburys then he moved onto bluebirds.

I can still remember using his Cabdurys and blue birds staff card to get cheap sweets as a child.

no wonder I have got 22 fillings

can anyone here remember bluebirds confectionery.

BLUE BIRD CONFECTIONARY TRADITIONAL TOFFEE - THE BLUEBIRD LAND SPEED RECORD PROJECT

Stavros

Grandparents spent some at Cadburys, living just down the road from Bourneville and my sister worked at IT Net which was owned by Cadburys.

Such a shame. A lot of people get over sentimental when it comes to UK companies getting bought out by overseas firms, the reality is, a lot of them would have folded without the needed investment and expansion, but Cadburys seemed to be in a strong position, and wanted to stay independant.

Ahh well, theres still BAE, at least for the moment, no doubt China will buy it sooner or later

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I can still remember using his Cabdurys and blue birds staff card to get cheap sweets as a child.

no wonder I have got 22 fillings

can anyone here remember bluebirds confectionery.

BLUE BIRD CONFECTIONARY TRADITIONAL TOFFEE - THE BLUEBIRD LAND SPEED RECORD PROJECT

Brillaint - ive found someone with worst teeth than me

yep i remember bluebirds - think they did a biscuit from memory too

My brother worked for ITnet too, borrowed his staff card on occasions

I hope Kraft think long and hard about their next move - already broken their first promise

Clive

This Thread is now closed for comments