Will the UK ever recover?

By : Forum Member
Published 17th February 2010 |
Read latest comment - 12th March 2010

What do people think? in 2009 a company I work for saw best profits to day with sales reaching huge targets but what has 2010 been like?

Thanks,
Kevin.Wiles
Comments
Kevin

Personally I feel it is too early to tell. It is tottering (IMO). The line is so fine right now - but we have better weather to come (yep, makes a difference) and the property market - both domestic and commercial generally always enjoy decent growth in Spring/Summer times.

The construction market (of which I consult to) has still to witness those green shoots of recovery. Until it does property prices will continue to rise steadily (which is far better than rapid) and of course eventually demand will out-strip supply and we start all over again with a 'boon' period.

It never ceases to amaze me how fickle the markets are as a whole, and if we are to move forward some radical steps need to be taken not only by industry, but by banking institutions as well. One of the difficulties facing us right now is the amount of debt the country has, and until taxes start flowing through to HMG it becomes once again that old cliche of the 'chicken and the egg.'

No, again personally, I do not think (crystal ball not withstanding) that 2010 is the year that sees all troubles firmly behind us. There are still far too many issues 'teetering' right now, so it is that very technical term we all love so much that will play a large part over the next couple or three years.....'Fingers-crossed.'

Mike

bonsai passion

forum avatarKip FX Design
18th February 2010 9:39 AM
One of my clients is a Site Steel erector/fabricator (juliet balconies right though to structural) and has doubled his staff and looking for more vans now!

He does do some residential work, but mainly industrial!

I just realised, all my clients are doing well! WooHoo!

Have a new client that is on the fence about a few things, as struggling, did him a pdf for marketing, 7 placements taken within 2 days! (recruitment, Manchester) His thoughts . . . direct result of the pdf, and linked him up with Stavros too, I expect big things!

As Mike says, it's too early to tell.

For us personally, we have seen a rise in sign ups with My Local Services from January, so from a small business perspective, people are starting to think about advertising again, which is one of the first things most firms will cut when times are hard (even though you need to generate new clients!).

But a lot depends on how fickle our media are (dont start me ranting again), they seem to have moved from deep dark end of the world stuff, and are giving us permission to think there may be the signs of recovery.

No doubt Nationwide or RBS will announce a survey soon that will show house prices dropped very slightly and all the media stations will tell us we are heading for the abyss again. Then the following month it will be another recovery, and they can dig out the same arm chair analysts again.

Think I'm having a cynical day...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Seems to be going down hill at the moment hearing alot of people been made redundant

Thanks,
Kevin.Wiles

forum avatargrh395
2nd March 2010 8:16 PM
Yeah - I think there is some way to go yet. Not that I know anything about it but it will be some time before we pay back the madness of the last few years. Just goes to show how easy it was to be offered, and accept credit. I am a little guilty too, of borrowing more than I could afford and had to cut my losses at the wrong time. Fortunately, I didn't lose too much but I could have done. I managed to keep it under

Company I work for is growing but some big companies who you will know via smaller brands have been sold shame really

Thanks,
Kevin.Wiles

forum avatarJonesboy
12th March 2010 3:12 PM
Well I'm at the bottom of the spectrum. I'm now self-employed in the service sector (carpet and upholstery cleaning) and things are still tight out there. I started the business late in 2008 and, to be honest, it's been a battle. Some weeks you think you've cracked it then next week you realise you haven't! I just find that my domestic customers are being really careful with what they are spending. Carpet and upholstery cleaning may be seen as a luxury I suppose. What I do know though is that guys who've been in the industry for years are also finding it tough.

This Thread is now closed for comments