How to Lock Your Car and Why

By : Forum Member
Published 28th August 2012 |
Read latest comment - 6th September 2012

This has just been passed to me. Is anyone else aware of this? I must say I've never heard of it until now.

"I locked my car. As I walked away I heard my car door unlock. I went back and locked my car again three times.

Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I would hear it unlock again!!

Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car next to the store.

They were obviously watching me intently, and there was no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation.

I quickly chucked the errand I was on, jumped in my car and sped away.

I went straight to the police station, told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into cars.

Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar happening....While traveling, my friend's son stopped at a roadside rest to use the bathroom.

When he came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later, someone had got into his car and stolen his mobile phone, laptop computer, sat nav, briefcase......you name it.

He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into, the police told him he had been a victim of the latest robbery tactic

Holborn Direct Mail
020 8683 7155
Comments
I had never thought of that as a potential area for crime. It will definitely be something I stay aware of now.

enterprisepe

I wouldn't worry about it - it's been circulating for a few years now in one form or another... ...snopes link with more details.

We had a bit on the news about something similar, and they showed us that it worked (might not have been the brightest idea to educate some though), but some wait for you to use your immobilizer, and as soon as you press the lock button, they press theirs. What happens is that it causes interference with your device and doesn't lock your doors, because apparently these devices run on similar 'wavelengths' this side. They do this because most lock their cars while walking away and almost never turn back to check if the car is actually locked or not, so it gives them the perfect opportunity to access your car.

Best thing to do is to use your key, and make sure that your doors are locked, before walking away.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

No matter what security devices you put in place, there will always be someone who works hard to get round them - if only they put their research and development talents to good use eh.

Thing is, you can't let it spoil your day to day dealings, unfortunately its part of them.

Thanks for highlighting it, i've not heard about it before.

Paul Myers

I use security because many times many driver loss their car without this. This brings safety for me.

nashir

They do this because most lock their cars while walking away and almost never turn back to check if the car is actually locked or not, so it gives them the perfect opportunity to access your car.

Best thing to do is to use your key, and make sure that your doors are locked, before walking away.

I must admit I use the lock button. Unlike most people, I always check that the door is actually locked before walking away from my car just out of habit, and will definitely continue to do so.

Holborn Direct Mail
020 8683 7155

There you go - there's a definite benefit of me keeping my old, clapped out Vauxhall Corsa - doesn't have those fancy locking gadgets.

Mar

Thanks,
Mar

I must admit I use the lock button. Unlike most people, I always check that the door is actually locked before walking away from my car just out of habit, and will definitely continue to do so.

That's a good habit. I guess they used the most likely scenario when it came to people using their immobilizers. Nowdays one can never be too careful.

There you go - there's a definite benefit of me keeping my old, clapped out Vauxhall Corsa - doesn't have those fancy locking gadgets.

Mar

There is nothing like a good classic. I see new Beamers coming out with side video recorders, keyless locks and even the boot opens without a key... The problems that a person will get if those fail... It's quite funny actually.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

MY door wing mirrors automatically fold in when I lock my doors with the remote so that's my way of knowing it has locked. Someone locking it would mean i'd not only hear the loud door unlock noise, i'd also hear the wing mirrors unfolding back out.

indizine
indizine

This Thread is now closed for comments