Battle of the Smartphones - Apple declares war!

By : Administrator
Published 3rd March 2010 |
Read latest comment - 29th March 2010

From BusinessWeek:

The iPhone maker's complaint against Taiwan HTC Corporation underscores the widening role of the International Trade Commission in cross-border disputes over smartphone tech.

Apple's attempt to block the import of smartphones made by HTC Corp. underscores the growing prominence of the International Trade Commission in settling patent disputes over smartphones, one of the fastest-growing areas in technology.

On Mar. 2, Apple filed a patent-infringement complaint with the ITC in Washington, alleging that HTC is using Apple technology without permission. A decision in favor of Cupertino (Calif.)-based Apple may bar HTC from importing its devices into the U.S. Apple is embroiled in other scuffles at the ITC, including one with wireless handset maker Nokia.

In its complaint at the ITC, Apple says (Taiwan)-based HTC infringes 10 patents mainly related to the software that runs smartphones. HTC was the first electronics maker to sell a phone based on the Android operating system, developed by a Google-led group of companies. "We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said in a statement.

Full article:
Apple's Smartphone Battle Plan - BusinessWeek

Interesting stuff, a few years ago it was the PDA that was going to be the one device we all carried, now it looks like its a smart phone. What a huge market place!!

Make sure your websites can be viewed on these mobile devices!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
forum avatarKip FX Design
3rd March 2010 10:27 AM
Mine can! And as a Blackberry user, it would take a lot to shift me from them, on my upgrade I will probably get exactly the same phone!

forum avatarJonesboy
12th March 2010 3:18 PM
I use a Blackberry Storm which I find very easy to use and it suits my needs well. We also have an iPod touch which is fantastically quick and easy to use when connected to the Internet through wifi. For a quick google search at home I'll always pick up the iPod rather than the Blackberry.

never got into the blackberry revolution personally, but good tip though with the ipod

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Indeed, in part, the Ludite in me prefers a phone that rings and one I can dial on. Not got into this BB thing, although I suppose I can see the merits.

Mike

bonsai passion

I love my G1. Mostly because it *has* the tactile keyboard, but has it hidden away where it doesn't look intimidating when all you want to do is find the button to answer a call.

VirtuallyMary

forum avatarMama C's Brownies
29th March 2010 10:01 PM
Does anyone use a htc phone? I've got a iPod touch so don't want an iPhone when my contract renews but I do need a phone with mobile internet, my husband has the blacberry curve so can't have one of those, I've looked at the htc phones but can't make a desicion! As a business phone any recommendations?

forum avatarKip FX Design
29th March 2010 10:19 PM
At the minute, you need to go Blackberry, maybe the bold 9700, as the legal battle from Apple, is effecting all the smartphone manufacturers, they are all running and trying to create everything from scratch again, because if Apple wins this lawsuit, they are gunning for the rest of them.

This case will seriously shake up the markets, and with Apple becoming the 4th largest American company (even passing Warren Buffet) they have the clout needed.

This Thread is now closed for comments